• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

First: Linux is the street racing scene of the PC world. You can customize everything, and it’s going to be faster and more responsive. Also if someone just wants to build a really cool custom experience, there’s very cool stuff possibld do on Windows, but that road eventually leads to Linux.

Second: Linux is the long haul huge truck engine of the Internet. Big data processing only runs on Linux*. I’ve met one Windows supercomputer and one Mac supercomputer. Both are long retired now.

*The interesting exception to this is payments processing, which has a lot of Windows and Mainframe still. But while that workload is big, it’s dwarfed by the Internet backbone and supercomputer jobs that run on Linux.

Something like 99.9% of the Internet now runs on Linux.**

**Please no one reply to me about your .Net shop. I’ve worked at them too, but they’re a substantial minority now, and they still mostly deploy to Azure which is mostly running Linux.

Third: Free stuff. Most open source software is written for Linux, and only ported to Windows after it gets really popular. So on Linux, your options for good free software are much nicer.

• itsJoelle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I work in a .net shop. It is a hair painful, to say the least, and I’m constantly looking over the fence longingly. They exist, are the minority, and are a fucking nightmare by comparison.