A new law in Texas requires convicted drunk drivers to pay child support if they kill a child’s parent or guardian, according to House Bill 393.

The law, which went into effect Friday, says those convicted of intoxication manslaughter must pay restitution. The offender will be expected to make those payments until the child is 18 or until the child graduates from high school, “whichever is later,” the legislation says.

Intoxication manslaughter is defined by state law as a person operating “a motor vehicle in a public place, operates an aircraft, a watercraft, or an amusement ride, or assembles a mobile amusement ride; and is intoxicated and by reason of that intoxication causes the death of another by accident or mistake.”

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Moving from A to B can still be a good thing to do, even if there are some remaining problems at B.

• bhmnscmm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

You’re completely right. People just want to keep their blinders on and hate on this because it’s Texas. They don’t want to think critically and acknowledge a state that often does the wrong thing can also do the right thing.

I guarantee there wouldn’t be as many critical comments if this were New York or California.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I fucking hate Texas and I came here to support this move. (Most) People are less shitty than you suggest.

• bhmnscmm@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah, you’re right. It’s just disheartening how many people view this as a bad thing even though it’s clearly a step in the right direction.

I’m sure the people that are against this are much more likely to voice their opinions than those that support it.

• Thewheeeeeeeeeel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

In your metaphor b is closer to c than a so it’s a good thing. But if b is on a one way street to a cliff it doesn’t make it a good thing to drive there.