• kadu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

A house with cats can smell amazing, but it does require an extra effort into cleaning and extra cash for better litter.

What’s physically completely impossible is to have a house without fur. Just learn to live with the fact that there will be fur between your ass cheeks, sandwich, computer, eye balls.

• simple@lemmy.mywire.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Very very true.

If you just regularly clean the litter box and use decent litter, smell is not an issue at all.

But no matter how often or thoroughly I brush and deshed my cats, there will always be hair everywhere.

• Karcinogen
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Have Roombas gotten better? Last time I had one it was loud and just bumped into things. Are they smarter now?

• Lowpast@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Better? Yes. Perfect? No.

I had one of the first models and they were not good.

Now, I have the i7 and it is great at dodging items I leave out (shoes, random boxes, cat toys), but it obviously performs better when the floor is free of obstruction. I do not replace the bag as recommended and disabled the setting that prevents the tower thing from becoming overfilled. There are probably cheaper options around, but the official roomba works great these days. I have it do a deep clean (every room once and the heavy traction areas twice) on Monday and Thursday and then a quick clean every day. I haven’t had to spot clean since I got the schedule started, but I do occasionally randomly run a schedule if I have guests over. I even have a very long step it can fall off of but it hasn’t even fallen off once… well not completely true, it’s wheel has got stuck off the cliff a few times.

Tldr; it’s great. Much better than before. Get one.

• YAMAPIKARIYA@lemmyfi.comOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I have a j7+ and it is great. Never had a single issue. Covers the area I need it to (whole first floor) and self empties.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Check out Purina liveclear food and shampoo, I just moved in with a cat and have pretty bad cat allergies, but feeding the cat that food and occasionally rubbing on some of the dry shampoo seems to have mostly eliminated the issue. I can rub my face in the kitty’s belly no problem.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Its actually a misconception, its not the fur thats causing the allergic reaction, its actually a protein the cats produce that can be found in their saliva. So when they groom themselves, the protein gets onto their fur.

Interesting fact, intact males produce more of this protein compared to female and neutered males.

Also, you can buy certain cat food that will help manage the protein (it doesn’t eliminate or stop it being produced, it just deactivates the protein). So thats one possible solution for people with allergies. Though if you’re super sensitive, it mightn’t help much.

EDIT: here’s the source

• marrenia@astraea.pink
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I think most doctors and researchers would love an answer to that question as well - allergies are weird

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

That I’m not really sure. I do know however that early exposure (from childhood) to allergens helps prevent allergies from developing later in life.

So people who had a cat when they were a child are much less likely to develop cat allergies when adults, and similarly children who eat nuts are less likely to develop nut allergies

• Hyperi0n@lemmy.film
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

We were fur free with regular vacuuming and a roomba.reallt depends on the type of cats

• Monkstrosity@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

What would better litter be? I’ve tried about every brand I’ve seen in the past 5 years and the ones that have worked best are just regular brand. Maybe faster clumping is helpful (currently using Tidy Cats Instant Action), but I’ve never seen a noticeable improvement on smell.

• kadu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m Brazilian, so I can’t really help you with brand names or even availability.

But mine is made out of lemon grass, corn and cassava. It smells like lemon grass, urine forms almost perfect spheres, and you can clean it super easily. Nice bonus: you can flush it without issues, and if your cat eats for some reason, it’s actually helpful fiber.

Avoid silica based ones like the plague.

• kadu@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

There are quite a few. To begin with, the manufacturing process can be harmful to the workers, and for the same reason, it can actually worsen some cat’s respiratory issues. The silica also likes to flake into sharper and smaller points when exposed to liquid, which often can cause bruises or skin irritation on paws, mouth or even eyes. Plus, it actually does start to smell quite fast compared to several other kinds of litter (though it’s usually better than the wood based ones, if they’re not properly designed they smell horrible).

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The best litter is one cleaned daily.

I pick up after my dog in the yard twice a day

• Naja Kaouthia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Daily scooping, silica gel litter. Unless you see them you can’t tell I have cats. Even my mom doesn’t complain. Silica gel litter is god’s gift to cat parents.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Is there a reason people like cats pooping and pissing inside their houses? I live in an apartment and my dog hits his button to tell me he wants to go outside. I open the door to the balcony, and he goes and does his business on an astroturf tray.