• crunchpaste@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Yes, I am. Depending on whom you base your ideas on what art is you can defend the case that art has two main components - its conceptual (the political or other ideas of the artist) and its perceptual part (the craftsmanship).

In this case the conceptual part of the work is completely removed, leaving only the craftsmanship. I see no problem in sharing this, and I see no possible slippery slope here.

In short, just because someone is a fascist does not mean they can’t be a good craftsman, and should not be seen and analyzed. Take for example Adolf Dassler’s Adidas.

Quite frankly, I would also love to see what the original cartoon looks like. Not because I would agree with it, but because I want to know how extreme rightwingers represent me (or us, I guess). I want to know how their propaganda looks like. And I personally believe we should all know and care about it, if we want to combat it successfully.

• DreamButt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Are you deliberately trying to be incoherent?

You said:

I never knew why people need to conflate the personality or political opinions of the artist with the art they make

And I asked you if you are ignoring the fact that the arts intended purpose is political.

Now u r on some shit about the aesthetic qualities which has nothing to do with your original argument.

It’s not “conflation” when the thing is itself literally what people take it as.

Also! Op was just asking a question dude. They weren’t condemning the meme. Ya gotta chill