• NotAPenguin@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

“No-knock raids” just seems like a recipe for disaster…?

Of course citizens are gonna shoot back when loud and violent people suddenly bust down their doors…

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I agree the article and title are terrible. But from what I was able to piece together from three separate articles on the same site:

The police were executing a narcotics search warrant. During the execution, the father of the family (Sistrane Edwards) was shot once and killed. The pet (Unnamed) was also shot and killed. The mother (Cynthia Soileau) was shot and is alive, in the hospital, in critical condition.

Deputy Marshall Barry Giglio was shot and killed, allegedly by the son (Vonteeko Anderson) in the family, who’s been arrested for first degree murder + some drug offenses.

Someone else was also arrested but not named or charged.

The father, Sistrane Edwards, is a veteran with 13 years in law enforcement - which is probably why OP’s title mentions “two Louisiana cops dead”.

• Silverseren@kbin.social
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

And I’m sure the cops who murdered the father and injured the mother won’t be charged with first degree murder.

• Obinice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Aye you really a “veteran” just because you’ve had your job for a little over a decade? That’s not that long, I’ve got socks older then that :-/

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I took it to mean the more literal “they served some amount of time in the military” rather than “they did their job for a long time”

• Shazbot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Most important lines of the article:

Anderson’s sisters say their mother, stepfather, brother, and her brother’s girlfriend had only recently moved into the home where the search warrant was executed.

They say a violent robbery at their previous house forced the family to move there, and they believe that played a factor in what happened Monday night.

This smells of botched paperwork. It wouldn’t be the first time a no knock raid caused loss of life because someone didn’t bother to double check the address. I’d rather the police not have this in their toolbox. It’s too prone to mistakes, qualified immunity means no one is held accountable, and the resulting lawsuits become the tax payer’s problem. We need justice, but justice done with due diligence and accountability.

• inclementimmigrant@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Midnight, no-knock warrants are so good damn stupid and just a recipe to get people killed by dumbass police.

I feel bad for this family, regardless of the was a drug dealer in the house, for having this happen to them to potentially lose two parents like this.

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The saddest part is that they murdered innocent people like they do every day. The second saddest part is that some of the pigs survived.

• Tamilas@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m confused, are the cops dead, or the other people, or both? I can’t read the article in my country.