• Clav64@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Medium.com is absolutely rotten for this behaviour.

Not only putting the soft, “sign in to view” but then on some articles requiring a full hard paywall… But you only know this after signing in.

I’m not entirely against charging for well written articles; good writers deserve compensation, but don’t tease me, make me jump through a hoop only to find there’s another much higher hoop sitting beyond it.

• Andy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ve just cancelled my Medium subscription. I was finding myself going there less and less. So many articles saying the same thing in various levels of broken English.

• nilloc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I wonder how mine ai is on the now.

• x4740N@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Libredirect doesn’t check and update working instances, if I recall correctly with libredirect you have to manually add instances to the list and can only ping the provided ones manually

There’s a few userscripts on greasyfork for it as well

You can also use farside on browsers that don’t support userscripts just by modifying a url

It has been particularly useful for browsing reddit pages without actually going to reddit because I’m not going to give spez my data and libreddit instances sometimes max out on requests so I just have to close and open tabs until I have a working instance

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Surely that’s down to the author though? Most Medium articles I’ve read are completely free and unrestricted.

• Clav64@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I have no idea. But my gripe is the lack of a clear notice that “this is a paid article and you must be paid member to view it”, it just says words to the effect “sign in to view”.

• hactar42@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Here lately it feels like Medium has started their road to enshitification. I’ve been noticing them locking more and more content lately.

• scurry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

A bit over a year ago, I tried writing on Medium, and what I found was no, not really anyway. Medium was putting the soft paywall on all of my posts, without me asking or benefiting from it other than hosting, though I could choose to make them hard paywalled. It was my impression at the time that they would only let you unpaywall your articles on there if you paid them that ransom, instead of every reader (by being a member). You could argue that the authors choose to post there when there are alternatives anyway, so it’s still on the authors (and I do).