cross-posted from: https://rabbitea.rs/post/280182

I think this is appropriate here!

‘I am a self-expressive person and I feel very confident with pink hair so I came up with a solution to keep the job and my hair’

• xantoxis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

“They think this is better?”

Yes, they actually do. They’re probably conservative dickheads. They know that pink hair is code for “I am a tolerant and kind person; I might be gay but not necessarily; I support counterculture ideas.”

They hate the counterculture ideas. They don’t hate the color pink. Covering it up with a terrible wig makes it about something else.

Or anyway, so they think. What they’ve actually done is given her an opportunity to start conversations about the pink hair.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

What they’ve actually done is given her an opportunity to start conversations about the pink hair.

Keen insight. I wouldn’t have known she exists otherwise.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They’re probably conservative dickheads.

Hah! It doesn’t even take that. All you need is a middle-management who doesn’t support the rights of their workforce, is inconvenienced should a customer gin up complaints about OP’s hair-color (whatever it is), and is generally just lazy and indifferent, learning from upper mgmt that growth & profits are 99% the things that count, followed by limiting liability situations. The workers themselves are just an inconvenient expense in the equation.