In the aftermath of extreme weather events, major insurers are increasingly no longer offering coverage that homeowners in areas vulnerable to those disasters need most.

At least five large U.S. property insurers — including Allstate, American Family, Nationwide, Erie Insurance Group and Berkshire Hathaway — have told regulators that extreme weather patterns caused by climate change have led them to stop writing coverages in some regions, exclude protections from various weather events and raise monthly premiums and deductibles.

Major insurers say they will cut out damage caused by hurricanes, wind and hail from policies underwriting property along coastlines and in wildfire country, according to a voluntary survey conducted by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, a group of state officials who regulate rates and policy forms.

Insurance providers are also more willing to drop existing policies in some locales as they become more vulnerable to natural disasters. Most home insurance coverages are annual terms, so providers are not bound to them for more than one year.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Literally what’s the fucking point of home insurance if it doesn’t cover disasters?! What is it insuring?

Cool, I can get hurricane insurance in Iowa and meteorite insurance anywhere else! Fuck off.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

exactly plus most of human civilization lives near coasts and if they don’t Im guessing wildfire country would be the next most populous.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

So hurricanes in Iowa and meteorite impacts. Cool.

What a good industry to leave in the hands of private interests!

• IHeartBadCode@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Remember, most types of home loans require the borrower to secure property insurance.

Without the ability to get a policy written, some will not be able to close on home loans. Some will not be able to sell their house as no buyers can purchase the property.

The insurance issue is much bigger as it has the potential to lock people into the State for inability to sell and prevent those looking for homes from buying.

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

When unhindered climate change meets capitalism.

The social costs of carbon emissions are estimated to be around 300 $/t The US is emitting 14 tonnes per person and year. So the damage caused directly and indirectly to the economy is around 4,200 $ per person and year.

The corporations are not paying that. The normal people will and it is starting now. This is what the scientists and experts had been warning and continue to warn about. This is what republicans are fiercly and democrats also very much lying, denying and lobbying against. This will be the rich and corporations eating the middle class and poor.

The american people will be fucked by climate change. Whatever middle class remains for now will be eroded by the additional economic burden of paying up for the damages that will be caused directly and the lack of opportunity and development that will be caused indirectly. Just ask yourself if you could front an additional 200,000 $ over the span of your life.

This is why climate protests demand “system change not climate change”. Bot the prevention of climate change and the adaption to climate change are impossible in the current economic system.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Allstate said its climate risk mitigation strategy would include “limiting new [auto and property] business … in areas most exposed to hurricanes” and “implementing tropical cyclone and/or wind/hail deductibles or exclusions where appropriate.”

Hurricane Idalia brought severe flooding to Georgia and the Carolinas, and tore through parts of Florida that had never experienced direct hits from a major storm.

Natural catastrophes in the first six months of 2023 year in the United States caused $40 billion in insured losses, the third costliest first-half on record, Aon found.

That can prevent firms from pricing policies that accurately reflect risk, said Daniel Schwarcz, who studies insurance markets at the University of Minnesota Law School.

Typical home insurance policies cover damage from all manner of perils, including fire and smoke, wind and hail, plumbing issues, snow and ice, and vandalism and theft.

“Potential changes to the frequency and/or severity of weather-related catastrophic losses pose a risk in both the short and long term,” Nationwide wrote in its survey response.

The original article contains 1,384 words, the summary contains 166 words. Saved 88%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• books@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Ive always said that the insurance industry will be the one that actually pushes changes since they are ultimately on the hook for the damages.

• CommodoreSixtyFour_
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If one would ask me personally, I would say this:

There are so many cracks showing, that I tend to doubt it. But it is hard to say. While some groups in a society may see bigger problems in the future, others may even see improvements. The factors that play a role are too complex for me to judge. I have no doubt though that the average quality of life will go down substantially. I am actually counting on a collapsing system until 2045. I would really be very much surprised to see a continuation of today’s ways until then. So much so that my retirement plans are not of great importance to me. I have them, but I do not expect to be able to use them.