Tiba al-Ali’s death has sparked the call for change for violence against women in Iraq.

• damndotcommie@lemmy.basedcount.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

But the numbers don’t lie. It is an almost uniquely Muslim phenomenon.

What?? You think muslim people have the lock on killing their own children. I think I just saw a news story weeks ago about a woman in the u.s. that killed her children. I mean americans usually tend towards just killing a bunch of other people’s kids, but whatever. Keep thinking religion is the bad guy here.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

And you have no way of indicating whether or not someone who had killed a child has deemed it in their mind as an honor killing. The point is, you have a lot to learn. Thinking this can just be solved by eliminating religion, well that’s a tall order. Preach on though, and show those wacky muslims how they should act.

• MuhammadJesusGaySex@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Who cares where it originated. Also, if that’s the case. Then how did these tribal customs spread all over the old world. It’s in Muslim communities in the Middle East. It’s in Muslim communities in the Balkans. It’s in Muslim communities in Africa. I mean for that matter 90% of honor killings in the US are Muslim.

You can keep lying to yourself all you want to. But don’t tell me what the numbers plainly state. This isn’t a race thing. There are Muslims of all colors. Likewise, it’s obviously not all Muslims.

But it’s undeniable that just one problematic part of the Muslim faith is honor killings. Next you’re going to try and explain away child marriage in the Muslim faith. Tell me that Muhammad didn’t have a child bride.

My favorite was this crazy math thing this guy told me one time. He said that for women they started counting age at puberty. Since was 7 when she married Muhammad, but started puberty at 12. That means she was 19.

Ill let you figure out why that’s wrong. Here’s a hint. The answer has to do with Muhammad’s first wife.

And yes I know some Christian sects like the FLDS also do child marriage. It is equally abhorrent, but we aren’t talking about them.

The thing is that honor killings are just one more disgusting facet of Islam. Period

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

who cares where it originated

You do, since you’re the one who brought it up in the first place and insisted on it until facts proved you wrong.

90% of the honor killings in the US were by people from one of those ethnic regions, and they were doing it for tribal reasons. The Muslim community including Muslims of their own ethnicity were horrified by the practice and unanimously condemned it. The people convicted weren’t even religious. That’s because there’s literally nothing at all in the Quran that supports this practice. Like I said, it’s a pre-Islamic practice that dummies held onto.

Let me try to make this simpler for you since you keep ignoring the reality. There were once primitive tribes that believed they had to sacrifice a virgin every year in order to keep the crops growing. Eventually, Christianity and Islam spread to the region, and despite converting there were some who still believed in the practice and tried to do it anyway, until actual religious leaders had to trek over to these remote places and make them stop. History is full of examples like this; Iranians celebrate Nowruz as a cultural holiday even though the holiday is an ancient Zoroastrian one and Iran is now majority Shia. That doesn’t mean it’s an Islamic holiday. You don’t get to blame the religions for their practice no matter how much you hate them.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

This dipshit is also ignoring that fact that there could be other killings outside of muslim culture that just aren’t branded honor killing. How about Alex Murdaugh? He killed his wife and son. His son was under indictment, accused of driving a boat into a bridge while drunk, killing a passenger. That sure seems like a honor killing to me. But hey, he isn’t muslim, so we won’t call it that.

• MuhammadJesusGaySex@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I don’t remember saying anything about where it originated other than who cares about it.

All that matters is where it is now. It is now an almost exclusively Muslim practice. As someone who grew up hanging out with a rich Muslim family a lot. I saw my best friend, and sisters kidnapped by their father taken back to Pakistan and almost forcibly married off. The reason was because the dad felt they were too western. The only reason they got back was because my friend and her older sister escaped and because they were born here got the us embassy to send them back. The younger sisters I think we’re too young back then.

Because of that same friend and her sisters. I got invited to a lot of parties for “brown people” but really it was just kids whose parents had immigrated here from all over, and most of them went to the same mosque as my friend.

I have heard a lot of similar stories. I mean I’ve heard some funny ones too. Like one dude told me how much he loves onions, but can’t eat them around his dad because it grows under ground.

My point is. We aren’t going to see eye to eye on this. Honor killings are a Muslim practice. You’ll never agree that it is, and I’m never going to agree that it isn’t. But even without that. Islam is an especially disgusting religion.

I also want to make one thing incredibly clear. I may not like religions of all faiths (I am an equal opportunity hater in that department), but I have no problem with the people. I only have a problem with the bad things they do in the name of their religion. So, don’t get it twisted. I dislike white American Christians just as much as middle eastern Muslims.

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    10 months ago

80% of the world’s cocaine comes from Colombia. By your logic that means drug trafficking is an exclusively Catholic practice. You’re trying really hard to connect two dots that don’t actually have a relationship to one another aside from geography.