• xxxSexMan69xxx@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

They’d probably prefer spending time with a parent who loves them over having to listen to an unmotivated teacher who should’ve retired 20 years ago drone at them.

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They’d probably prefer spending time with kids their own age with similar interests, bonding over dissatisfaction with the unmotivated teachers. I had an awkward and unpopular adolescence, and even then I enjoyed the socialization I did get in public school much more than my brief stint with homeschooling.

• FMT99@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m sorry, sounds like you had some bad experiences at school. I won’t say there are no teachers like that but by and large my kids’ teachers are pretty decent. During parent-teacher meetings they mostly seem to be pretty aware of who’s who and what’s going on in class.

I’m sure there are places where it’s much worse though. It can be tough for kids.

• tillary@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My “friends” used to frame me and get me into trouble with teachers. And I wouldn’t rat on them because they were my “friends”. Not saying the teachers should have realized this, but there’s a lot going on that they don’t know about.

• Yulia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’d rather not give more power to intolerant ones. The more I talk to other queer people and their relationships with parents, the more I become an unironical family abolitionist

• violetraven@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Trans mom here. We do exist and can break the cycle.
            We homeschooled and some of the first GNC examples I saw were teens and adult kids of other homeschooling parents.

• Cornpop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I had a blast in public school. Great friends great teachers, sure a few sucked but that’s life. Every homeschool kid I know that wound up in public school eventually was weird af at first, but usually came around after a while. Being locked up with only your parents usually with them feeding you extreme religious BS is horrible for a child. Homeschool should be illegal, most parents are too dumb to be teachers.

• weedazz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They probably would, but that wouldn’t prepare them for a life of listening to college lectures, corporate meetings, boring social events, etc that “drone at them.” Giving a kid an unrealistic view of what adult life is and encouraging dependent personality disorder doesn’t sound that healthy to me. For me, school absolutely made me do stuff I didn’t want to do, and now in my 30s I see that’s pretty much the definition of being an “adult”

• Shalakushka@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Even if they’d rather hear an unqualified religious crazy teach them (they don’t), that doesn’t make it a good idea. Children would prefer to spend all day playing video games, so I don’t know if preference is the measure to use here.

• Shalakushka@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

A good 80% of home schooling is done so religious crazies can shelter their children from anything that disagrees with their holy book.

• ebc@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but around here, it’s a minority. I’d say about 40% homeschool because institutional school doesn’t have enough services for their special-needs kids (ADHD, hyperactivity, giftedness, dyslexia, etc.), about another 30% do it just out of conviction that there’s another way that kids can learn (especially the whole unschooling movement, but there’s also Montessori, project-based learning, etc.) and there’s no alternative school around, the other ~30% is a mix of family circumstances, bad experiences with schools (bullying especially) and yes, religious zealots. The law was drastically tightened a few years ago, mostly because of these religious zealots, so they aren’t very popular here.

COVID also changed that landscape a lot; a lot of anti-vax and anti-maskers started homeschooling when institutional schools started mandating these things, but most of these parents soon realized it was much more work than they thought and returned their kids at school as soon as the mandated were dropped.

• ninpnin@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

A lot of parents don’t love their kids. And a lot of parents love their kids but still end up treating them like shit.