I know this is on everyones minds, but talking the same shit over and over again isn’t going to make new users stay on Lemmy.

• NotaCat@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel like there are almost as many “Stop talking about reddit” poets as there are reddit posts. Most of us JUST left after being there often for five or ten years. There are subreddits still actively protesting. Spez is still trying to spin a story that is contrary to our experience. There is still a lot to talk about but it will naturally die off. Maybe just scroll past the posts you don’t want to read?

• Elle@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While I understand the sentiment, this is not the community for this. I think !vent@lemmy.world & any similar community would be more appropriate for expressing your frustration with the situation.

For discussions concerning Reddit, there are a few different communities you might look to such as !reddit@lemmy.world, !reddit@lemmy.ml, !RedditMigration@kbin.social, and probably others I’m unaware of. The flipside of these suggestions is that these are also the communities those uninterested in the topic may block if they wish to minimize the amount of such discussions they’re seeing in their feed.

I will be locking this thread now. Constructive threads concerning the transfer of information or app development from Reddit to Lemmy here remain okay, but threads simply complaining will be locked and redirected to the aforementioned communities to either vent in, or block to hopefully help them.

Thanks for your understanding, and feel free to message me if you need any help in navigating to those communities.

• nieceandtows@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean, most people who joined recently did so because of something Reddit did. That is something they have in common, so it’s easy to talk about. I agree we should instead focus on making Lemmy the new home, but talking about Reddit is part of the process.

• blueskiesoc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I get it. I do. It’s getting boring, but hear me out…you need to craft your Lemmy.

I still haven’t finished subbing to every community that interests me because there are so many to look at, but they don’t make reddit posts in the communities I’m subscribed to, !catbeanbags for example. Once you’ve selected communities you want to see, change your username’s settings to only show you your subscribed communities. You can skip this step, but you may forget to switch to subscribed from local or all when you log on. Then enjoy your feed and if it turns out you don’t care for a community after all, unsub (like I’m doing to General Discussion–bye everybody).

It’s fantastic, IMHO.

Have fun. It’s your Lemmy. Do whatcha want with it.

• CIWS-30@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

On General or on the Federated Servers “Hot” section? If you mute the Redditmigration and other Reddit themed communities and magazines, it gets rid of most of the discussion about it.

I don’t know if you can filter by keywords yet (particularly for titles) but if that’s implemented somewhere, that might work too.

I’m not tired of discussions about Reddit, but I can totally understand why others would be, as I’m generally pretty sensitive to repetition and like to control what I see. Too much of one thing generally sets me off too.

• DuckCake@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

…no?

I mean, we’re watching the slow and gruesome death of one of the Internet’s giants, as it eats itself from within. If that weren’t enough, we’re watching this spectacle from the most popular lifeboat for refugees fleeing the slaughter - so the boat is only getting bigger and more crowded every day.

It’s gonna be a popular topic for a while.

• tal@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s kind of relevant to a high percentage of the userbase right now. Combine that with the fact that a number of people who are pissed off at Reddit deleted their accounts on Reddit and can’t discuss the situation there, and the fact that some people just don’t want to do so, and well, you get this. I expect that it’ll trail off over time as other more-interesting topics arise.

EDIT: I was on Reddit prior to when the Digg v4 UI change rolled out, and when that occurred, I remember a lot of new people on Reddit complaining about Digg and Kevin Rose for some time. And talking about the Reddit UI and comparing it to Digg’s. A lot of people who were personally impacted by something at the same time with a common interest makes for prominent conversations. It eventually went away as they found things that interested them.

• szczur@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It bores me to death too, but it’s a pretty big drama and a turning point in internet history. People are excited, eager to share their thoughts and experiences. Give it time, it’ll pass eventually.

• szczur@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It bores me to death too, but it’s a pretty big drama and a turning point in internet history. People are excited, eager to share their thoughts and experiences. Give it time, it’ll pass eventually.

• Jon-H558@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s not a turning points we are just Marius wondering through the upstairs rooms seeing the mods shot but the people of.paris don’t care for the rebellion no other baricades were formed we failed, the corporate world carries on

• wokehobbit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Exactly. This place is turning into Reddit 2.0. The fuckers are bandwagoning, close minded, downvote brigading… It’s turning this place into a toxic mess when it could have been better.