• TGHOST-V0@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The french gov, always there to defend the capitalism and all sort of evils.

They don’t care of consumers, and most important, of citizens.

They act just for lobbys and their own interests.

We are fucked,

• mixis@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

For once, capitalism is not to blame here. I think, vegan meat alternatives had double digit growth for a long time, at least in Germany. Any sane capitalist would invest at least a little in that sector, and in fact, many of the incumbent animal-exploiting corporations do exactly that. Danone, as a french example, bought Alpro.

This is culture war.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

France’s long-running battle over vegan food names has escalated as the government published a decree banning meaty terms such as “steak”, “grill” or “spare ribs” being used to describe plant-based products.

Marc Fesneau, the French agriculture minister, said the new government decree on products such as “vegan ham” or “plant-based steak” was about helping shoppers and “an issue of transparency and honesty responding to the legitimate expectations of consumers and producers”.

More than 120 other meat-associated names such as “cooked ham”, “poultry”, “sausage”, “nugget” or “bacon” will still be authorised but only if the products do not exceed a certain amount of plant proteins, with percentages ranging between 0.5% and 6%.

Guillaume Hannotin, a lawyer for the Proteines France organisation representing makers of vegan and vegetarian alternatives, said the term “plant-based steak” had been in use for more than 40 years.

He told AFP that France’s new decree still contravened EU regulation on labelling for the products, which – unlike milk – lack a strict legal definition and can be referred to by terms in popular use.

Charlotte Minvielle, of the French Green party Europe Écologie Les Verts, tweeted that the government had made a priority of “defending the meat lobby”.

The original article contains 635 words, the summary contains 201 words. Saved 68%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• MarkG_108@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I no longer buy any mock meat. Veggies that are unprocessed (with tofu as the lone exception since soy beans are kinda rough) are my choice now. So this doesn’t bother me.