I’d like to start a discussion about TV privacy in 2023. I’ve never been interested in having a TV, but recently I was thinking of getting one. Looking into it, the privacy implications seem horrible. All the major brands seem to have cameras, microphones, and content recognition software. I can’t believe how dystopian it is.

I also notice that most of the articles about this are from a few years ago. Are things better now? Do they still collect an Orwellian amount of data?

As I understand it, there are a few mitigation options:

1. Leave it disconnected from the internet and use a separate device for streaming. But it sounds like some brands have incessant nag screens, or disable features until connected to the internet. I was looking into the Samsung Frame TV, but I’m not even sure you can use the art mode without internet. Does anyone know?
  2. Pi-hole set up with a blocklist. It’s disheartening that such a technical solution would be necessary.
  3. Get a commercial “dumb” display. These are more expensive, and usually thicker.
  4. Go through the menu and disable privacy violating settings. Does this work? I’m doubtful.
  • InEnduringGrowStrong@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Honestly, a PC monitor and a separate device connected to it is probably much less bullshit.

Pihole is nice to have regardless of TVs.

Commercial displays are usually very overpriced, although if you can get a good deal that could be nice.

Not sure I’d “trust” any such menu.

• Clymene@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I thought PC monitors would be higher priced than commercial displays, but I haven’t really looked into it. It sounds like I should get a pihole either way.

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I’ve never bought a TV. I’ve used computer screens for the past 30 years because you can sit closer to them, they’re higher quality, and they do just one thing.

In the 90s, I had a HiFi VCR plugged into my monitor.

In answer to the original question: yes, you can, but you’re unlikely to. Today’s TVs are subsidized by invading your privacy and selling the data. Anyone not doing that couldn’t compete in the market.