Is it okay to ask for help in building a Linux gaming PC?

• Alparu@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Only advice I got is to stick with amd graphics cards, because of the drivers. And maybe use Debian based distributions, as they are the most common and therefore easiest to trouble shoot.

If you have the extra cash, get a small ssd (~500GB) to install windows on, for games that use anti-cheats that don’t work on linux. That’s how I did it

• Questy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Just to add to this, I haven’t had much issue with my Nvidia setup. I selected a Fedora based distro called Nobara. It has a tool that popped up on first boot and guided me through the few clicks it took to install drivers for the 2080ti I had then. I have upgraded to a 4080 since and it was seamless. My driver’s are updated via the Nobara update manager and are about one revision behind the latest available from Nvidia.

I also heartily endorse the idea of a second drive. For me the old one is my windows install, which I almost never boot to, though it’s nice to have my old Skyrim install with it’s 900ish mods still intact. I’m still pretty new to Linux, but I’ve had a really good experience with Heroic Launcher, which I just for non-Steam games, mainly GOG stuff.

• nekuOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’ve used a Fedora based distro before so I know troubleshooting there. What I need are specific parts. In the price range of 0-1.5k€ (including delivery)

• M500@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Sounds like you are asking someone to be your personal shopper.

Maybe it will be better to present a build and ask for someone’s input on a potential build.

• nekuOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Yes someone to pick me a build. I’m a noob with hardware. I’ve saved up money for months and now I want the most bang for the buck…I’m sorry if that’s unfair to ask

• boring_bohr@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Look into AMDs Ryzen 5800X3D and RX 6800XT. Both last-gen but good gaming performance and value.

• CyberEgg
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I recommend this guide. It’s in German, the prices are in €, but it is a good recommendation of parts for different budgets and up to date.

• angelsomething@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

If you stick with amd cpu and graphics, you can easily install the steam deck OS which is based on Linux and work’s exceptionally well. And I may add that it’s always ok to ask for help :)