• MolochAlter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

In my mind there are 2 reasons why someone should go to higher education:

• You want a career that requires a specific degree, and the pay will be worth the extra years of investment and essentially a delayed start in life.

• You are genuinely curious about the subject and want to learn it for the sake of learning it.

Great if you get both in the same subject but otherwise pick your price point.

No point in going to Harvard for something you have no way or intention to monetize later down the line.

• stebo02@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m the second one. I’ve been studying physics for three years and it’s hard and I have no idea what kind of job this will lead me to. However nothing else is as facinating to me as physics so I would definitely do it again.

• LaChaleurDeLaNuit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I think many people miss the point of studying. A massive amount of companies/decently positions require you to have a degree, PREFERABLY in a related area but not necessarily. They basically want to make sure you can read, follow instructions etc.

Of course if you want to work at the CERN you might want to know a thing or too about physics but other than that there is a decent amount of good paying jobs not related to your area that a mind like yours would have no problem in performing.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

They basically want to make sure you can read, follow instructions etc.

And people don’t learn both of those things in high school or much earlier? Damn, the despicable GOP mission to dismantle the education system must be going much better than I thought 😮‍💨

• MolochAlter@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Unironically? No, not at the level of university. In highschool you are basically being babysat while they teach you. You’ll be quizzed periodically and steered and told when you’re falling behind.

In college/uni that’s just you having to have or get your shit together and self-manage all that.

It makes a world of difference.

• stebo02@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Well of course I’m not worried I won’t find a job at all but I’d prefer to find a job within my field of study. Working at CERN or ESA would be the dream but I’m definitely not counting on it.