• hyorvenn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

KeepassXC and sharing the databases between devices with any sync tool is the best bet for me. Used it since I started using password managers and I will never understand using any online service for this.

• Kimagure@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just use Bitwarden, Keepass, or whatever your choice. I’m surprised people still trust Last Pass.

• Overzeetop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Bitwarden, Keepass

Do you mind if I pass your number on to my mother and father in law for tech support in setting it up on their Windows laptops and iPhones? I would do it, but I already have a full time job.

• AteshgaRubyTeeth@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

If they have a windows laptop they probably also have an android phone. In that case it would make the most sense to have them use the chrome/google password manager.

• Overzeetop@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I promise they have win+iOS. iMessage is the only reason that I have an iPhone. Well, that and the inability for any other messaging service to provide reliable real-time messaging with read receipts (both critical for core-family safety reasons; friends and work colleagues get my GVoice number which, ironically, worked better on iOS than Android at the time I switched).

As a bonus, my F-I-L currently uses the Notes app as his vault (not the secure version, just a note entitled “Passwords”) and my mother uses a combination of several slips of paper floating about her office, Google Chrome’s internal password memory system, and a system involving her dog’s name, a site identifier, and the last four digits of a phone number she had as a child. That last one is pretty good, except that the old bird is really bad at remembering which letters she capitalizes and which part of the URL she’s going t use as the identifier, so some sites are just easier for her to get a password reset every time she uses them. I’m actually getting jittery just thinking about it.

• cordlessmodem@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Went to 1password shortly after the first (maybe) debacle and have been extremely pleased since. I know it’s a similar risk with a hosted database but the convenience is hard to beat

• C547@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Ditched Lastpass years ago and switched to bitwarden. Much, much better experience.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I know it’s not a guarantee, but this is why I switched to Bitwarden. With Open Source software it’s less likely that this fuckups happen.