• BombOmOm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

In light of recent drone attacks, Russia has decided to cover their vulnerable aircraft in tires. One can only speculate on that decision making process.

• Lupus108@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

From what I read, I think it’s that the drones and/or missiles that are used to attack the airbases quite deep in the mainland use a special form of homing equipment that is not depending on any outside signal, which could be disrupted for example gps. So those weapon system rely on infrared or other means of self homing equipment to manage the final approach on target. The tires are supposedly meant to disrupt the systems that use visual clues for final approach also disrupting thermal imaging, kind of like dazzle camouflage is intended to work on warships.

If that is effective or work in any way I don’t know, but if it does it is a cheap and fast solution until a more broader defense mechanism is crafted.

If not, you haven’t spend a lot on trying, to solely rely on it forever would be dumb, but to as a makeshift temporary solution I don’t see much wrong with it, except that it looks silly. But just like the cage roofs on tanks personally I doubt it will have a meaningful impact.

• skillissuerM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

i like how it marks aircraft with tires as unused, because putting them on or off takes considerable time. one of these had even an engine missing, and according to some twitter accounts some of these aircraft weren’t moved in years

so if it works as camo, it would only direct autonomous drone towards working aircraft. my feeble westoid mind simply can’t comprehend vatnik logic