• AssPennies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I got deployed to a spot where a company man came to help out with some logistics. We happened to be using some 50 gallon drums to help anchor down some comms equipment, which got us talking about the topic of 50 gallon drums.

The company man happened to also be a vietnam vet, and told me a story about some POWs that got captured there. The enemy was real keen on finding out how the americans were finding their ground compounds for aerial attacks.

These several POWs told the enemy that it was all of their diesel fuel 50 gallon drums that were lighting up on radar, and was giving away their position from dozens of miles away. They went on to tell the enemy that the only way to hide the drums from radar, was to bury them at least 3 feet below ground.

So there’s the enemy, digging 6+ foot trenches to hide their diesel drums in. Digging trenches like that in the jungle is difficult enough, but even more difficult is then unburying them one by one when the fuel is actually needed.

So the POWs pulled that whole radar + drums story out of their ass, but knew that if they were believed, it was going to be a huge hindrance for the enemy hiding/accessing the drums like that.

So I have to wonder: Do the russians believe that throwing tires on their aircraft hides them from radar, or otherwise some other overhead asset from detecting them? It seems like it would be hindrance to scramble those jets when needing to chuck a bunch of tires off it first. Would be hilarious if some type of planted misinformation is responsible for this practice.

The question still remains though: Does this shit actually work?

• Maddison@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Would be hilarious if some type of planted misinformation is responsible for this practice.

interesting! Thank you!