Hey! Thanks to the whole Reddit mess, I’ve discovered the fediverse and its increidible wonders and I’m lovin’ it :D

I’ve seen another post about karma, and after reading the comments, I can see there is a strong opinion against it (which I do share). I’d love to hear your opinions, what other method/s would you guys implement? If any ofc

• mykl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Every system that can be thought of (and has been suggested here) might sound great but when implemented at scale will no doubt prove to be open to abuse and require an army of mods to oversee. Otherwise every multi-million dollar social media company would have implemented it already.

Upvotes and downvotes and cumulative scores kind of do the job well enough that that’s what we keep ending up with.

That being said though, I would be interested in seeing a system where each downvote you make also counts against your own karma to discourage profligate use of the downvote to mean “I have a different opinion but can’t express it here”.

• joeyshabadu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I do like that. Perhaps an exponential factor where if you downvote 10 comments you lose 1 karma, downvote 20 you lose 10 karma, etc.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Surely by the same logic upvoting without providing a reason for it should also be decentivised - why should negative feedback require taking the time to explain “why”, whilst positive feedback would not - logically either they both require a “why” or none does.

An uneven posture when it comes to receiving feedback only makes sense if one is emotionally impacted by “somebody disagreed with me and didn’t told me why” and having such a socially fragile ego is really the problem of that person, not of everybody else.

More generally and as I pointed out in a long post which I made in the other Karma thread (which I will not repeat here), the removing (or punishing) downvotes is just a strategy to incentivise more content posting, no matter how mediocre, which in turn leads to a a lower signal to noise ratio (i.e. more mindles fluff less content) which is bad for everybody - no-work negative criticism (i.e. downvotes without the need to spend time making explanatory posts) are quite an effective way of providing feedback on the shoddiness of something without the artificial barrier against criticism which is to require spending time on an explanation - I mean, if 1 or 2 downvotes get to you, then you definitelly have emotional issues you need to explore with an expert in such things as a handful of anonymous “I don’t like that” can be easilly dismissed as “there are a handful of people who disagree with what I wrote (so what?!)”, whilst an unexpected 10 or 20+ downvotes are often a pretty good hint to think again about what your published.

It seems to me that it’s incredibly selfish and self-centred to demand that everybody else takes the time to write an explanation when you write something they disagree with: other people’s time is their own and they do not exist merelly to serve your ego just as you don’t exist merelly to serve theirs.

Mind you, I do think it would be fair for there to be some way for people to disable viewing of downvotes on their account, as people with such “sensitivity” to negative feedback deserve to be able to participate in social media just like everybody else and since Lemmy keeps track of both negative and positive votes getting the interface to just show the positive stuff should be reasonably easy and it would protect the ego of those who need such protection.

• VGarK@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the idea of sacrificing your own “good boi points” to downvote a post bring a new layer of complexity. For sure, the hive-mind effect would be attenuated if users had to sacrifice their own “points”, and, probably, the downvoting as a whole would be less used. What do you guys think about how the use of the downvote would change?

• mykl@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh I doubt anyone would implement that as a system, but it is interesting to speculate what it might change. Imagine all the downvote curmudgeons having to regularly post pictures of kittens to /c/aww in order to recharge their karma.

I rarely downvoted on Reddit because I’m pretty sure everyone (no matter how blasé they appear to be) gets more upset by a comment ending up at -1 than they would get pleased by it ending at +5. When I found that some instances here don’t even have the downvote button, I decided that I wasn’t going to use it here at all. If someone says something damaging to the conversation I’ll report it to the mods, if they say something factually incorrect I might correct them, but otherwise I will just move on.