• Dave@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I think it’s ok to like both (the NIN original and this one). They are almost like different genres of music though.

• tiredofsametab@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

NiN is still the best in my opinion. I like the complexity and layering and the sounds used. Cash’s cover is fine.

• Kbin_space_program@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

As I recall Trent Reznor said that himself.about this version. Specifically that while he wrote it, after this rendition it’s not his song anymore.

• CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

This is a common misquote, Trent never said that Johnny’s was better. He simply said that what he was hearing wasn’t his song anymore.

Basically just expressing how impressed he was that Johnny Cash really made it his own, and didn’t just do a simple cover.

• glimse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

In my opinion it’s significantly worse and only known because it’s Johnny Cash. He’s hardly singing and sounds bored half the time…compared to Trent reznor who sings passionately and varied. I’m not the biggest NIN fan but I think the original’s instrumental part is way more musically interesting to me, too. To each their own of course but I’m always surprised to see how many people love this version

• Spaghetti_Hitchens@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I believe that Trent Reznor liked Cash’s version so much that upon hearing it, he stated that it’s Johnny Cash’s song now.

• w2tpmf@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

That’s not exactly what he said or meant. If he really thought it was Cash’s song now he wouldn’t close EVERY SINGLE SHOW with it.

I wish NIN would let go of this song. There are much better songs in their catalog to close shows with.

• Alto@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Not necessarily. Bob Dylan said something to the same effect regarding All Along the Watchtower and Jimi Hendrix and still played it.

• guyrocket@kbin.social
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Just looked it up: This is on Cash’s 67th and last studio album: American IV: The Man Comes Around.