In a recent interview with Moscow’s state-run Russia-1, a clip of which circulated widely on social media Saturday, the newly appointed Colonel-General Andrey Mordvichev said that the war “will not stop here [in Ukraine].”

“If we are talking about Eastern Europe, which we will have to, of course then [the war] will be longer,” he added.

• TigrisMorte@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

And what happens if 45 returns to power and pulls out of NATO while the alt-reich wack jobs continue to get Voted into power in the EU Countries?

• withabeard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m not anti US. But given the current state of the Russian forces in Ukraine, the rest of NATO doesn’t need US support to defeat any Russian advance.

I highly doubt China wants all out war with NATO, so Russia would be largely alone.

The worst would be if the Cheeto supremo were to try and fight NATO. I’m not sure how much the US military complex would back that though.

• SoylentBlake@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Russia and China are already at loggerheads.

Russia has rebuked Chinas attempts to negotiate peace, which China desperately wants to do (negotiate, not necessarily the peace) to show the world there’s an alternative to the US ideology.

China praised Ukraine for what they brought to the table, Russia didn’t even show up. China has asked to be at any and all future proceedings while Moscow is noncommittal to anything.

To say it another way: Beijing vouched for their homeboy but then come the interview they never showed and it made Beijing look bad in front of his peers, all at the time when Beijing is being consider for a promotion.

• Edgelord_Of_Tomorrow@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

China are also extremely interested in maintaining the taboo against the use of tactical nukes. China shares a border with 4 nuclear powers.

They are extremely afraid that Russia using one will break the taboo and it’s not guaranteed they would sit out of making an example of Russia should they do so.

• Spendrill@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I’m not sure how much the US military complex would back that though.

‘Hey Don, hey big fella, Donny Don, we booked you a victory parade! Yeah, what you’re gonna do is cruise through Dallas in an open top Cadillac, it’ll be iconic! Aand we’ve clubbed together and got you a yuge surprise, it’s so big it fills Dealey Plaza.’

• DarkThoughts@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m not anti US. But given the current state of the Russian forces in Ukraine, the rest of NATO doesn’t need US support to defeat any Russian advance.

Likely not, but it might take much more casualties. I think in such an event we’d want a quick & decisive victory, with a crushing defeat for Russia, instead of a long drawn out war.

• uint8_t@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

we’d want a quick & decisive victory

that’s literally every war, ever

• Zoidsberg@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I highly doubt Germany wants an all-out war with Europe, so Austria-Hungary would be largely alone if they attack Serbia.

• Turun@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

As if the US would not sell weapons to Europe. Even without sending troops (or rather even if recalling all troops currently stationed in Europe) the US arms industry would not let such an opportunity for extra profits pass. And as we see in Ukraine weapon systems can compensate for a lot of manpower.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Relevance? Under 2025 plan the US would be selling weapons to anyone with cash including Al-Qaeda as long as 45 got a cut.

• Turun@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Relevance? You asked a hypothetical question what would happen if trump got reelected and withdrew from NATO. My answer is that the US arms industry would continue to support Europe, because it would be profitable. I fail to see how you could have read that as not relevant.

I understand your comment as a counter argument, that the US would sell to anyone, as long as trump gets a cut. So if they sell to Russia and Europe, does it still matter? Yes, because Europe has more money.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

and they’d support Russia as well, probably on more favorable terms as 45 is a well known Putin cock holster. Not sure that can be placed in a reliable category. Like starlink…