Being forced to use a particular OS, hardware or programming language? Working remotely? Certain company structure?

• onlinepersona@programming.devOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I read about the term “silent quitting”: quitting without any prior warning, just handing in the resignation without a chance to remedy the situation.

Sometimes it might be the salary which causes people to leave.

Definitely. Got the highest pay bumps when switching. Was only a reason to switch once for me though. Is salary the most important factor for you?

• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I read about the term “silent quitting”: quitting without any prior warning, just handing in the resignation without a chance to remedy the situation.

Here’s the thing - finding the next job took me effort. I’m not wasting that because the boss suddenly realized they can do better. They needed to figure that out before I took the effort to find my next gig.

And I expect the same now that I’m the boss. I do a one on one meeting with each of my direct reports like clockwork, and I ask probing questions about work conditions, career trajectory, and work/life balance.

It’s not their job to make sure I know if they’re satisfied with their job. It’s my job.

Their job is to do all the other amazing things they do to make me look like an amazing boss.

Is salary the most important factor for you?

My employees have taught me that salary is the least important thing - right up until the moment when it becomes the most important thing. No one knows when that will be: surprise car repair, medical bill, whatever.

People tend to figure out their market value. I’ve never successfully retained a significantly underpaid professional over the long term. Of course, I do always get a healthy discount on the talent I hire. People value a great boss a lot. But having a great manager doesn’t fix a leaking roof, so that discount amount has to be an amount they feel great about, not an insult to them.

• uis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

No one knows when that will be: surprise car repair, medical bill, whatever.

Salary cut. When you say if it’s not important, then why make it worse, they will immidiately tell you how important it is to die on a job.

• frozenmolar@feddit.ukB
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Sounds like you are a good boss! I am sure your direct reports are happy since you obviously care about them.

• cerement@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

remember that “2 weeks notice” is a kindness you’re giving them, it’s not a requirement and companies will never show you that kindness when they fire you

• alr@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Unless you’re on a contract. If you’re in the US and you’re not sure if you’re on a contract, you’re not on a contract. At-will goes both ways.

• frozenmolar@feddit.ukB
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I am okay with some discount on my salary if I am really happy with my colleagues. We go to work every day, it is important to be happy.

If most of my friends are gone, and the salary is not satifactory, I will definitely quit for higher pay!

• Lucky@m.nrdblg.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

@onlinepersona @frozenmolar I thought I did make friends at my old job.
          These people do not seem very interested anymore, tho ._.

That - and the fact, that my new job is fully remote and on the other side of the country - is why I don’t at my new job.

• frozenmolar@feddit.ukB
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

That sounds really sad, did you try to connect with them? I usually try to connect with old friends with festival blessings, e.g. Christmas. This removes the awkwardness for not connecting for too long. Then you can follow up by questions like how things are going.

But I guess sometimes it is really difficult to connect, since people just move on to dofferent stages of their lives.

• Lucky@m.nrdblg.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

@frozenmolar Sure I tried, we are connected through several channels as messengers or similar, but even when asking some questions they only reply sporadically and do not seem to connect to each other, as well.

Far from eye far from heart, I reckon.

• onlinepersona@programming.devOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I’ve… tried? But despite being software developers, our interests often don’t align. I’ve gotten along well with many, but they’ve always stayed aquaintances. Back when I was younger and willing to go out and have a beer after work I did make more friends.

• frozenmolar@feddit.ukB
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I do agree, sometimes it is difficult to chat within work hours because everyone is busy. And when you get older, you have commitments in family, and other plans, etc, getting even more difficult to make friends.

I try to hang out with my colleagues, because i want to make friends and I still have time for that.

But anyways, I felt that you can be a good friend! Felt bad for your colleagues missing the chance to make a good friend. (Sorry if that sounds odd because of my poor English)

• Juggs@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I’m likely to do that shortly. I’m in an environment with a few toxic colleagues who know fuck all about what needs to be done, or how to do it, but manage to impact decision making and cast doubt on my abilities and deliverables to date. I have had to step outside of my role to deliver multiple big ticket tasks (e.g. I’ve been brought on to uplift code for multiple applications, but have also had to build a MEM deployment from scratch as there was no endpoint management), but no-one has the knowledge or the interest in taking over the finished products, expecting I’ll add it to my responsibilities.

A job is about to open up elsewhere that I’ve been encouraged to apply for, so I’ll keep trudging along and will let them know at my notice period. I’ve tried so hard to get involved with no luck, so now they’ll be forced to take interest.