• SupraMario@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

This is the way, although the pi is to slow for me at this point and I replaced it with shields.

Also why the are people connecting tvs to their networks…fuck that noise.

• teejay@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I’m waiting for the Raspberry Pi 5 to set up as a media PC behind my tv. There are really good, reliable, and high quality sites that let you stream any movie or TV show. No need to vpn or torrent. Firefox with ublock origin streaming anything I want in 1080 for free.

I should add I have a RP4 and it’s not beefy enough to stream 1080p full screen from a browser to my 4k tv.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Just get a micro desktop, better airflow and has all the ports you may need.

Intel Nuc, Dell Optiplex are really cheap secondhand. And you can run 4K content on them.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I love rpis but damn did the 4s get sold out and then spike in price almost instantly. I’m not holding out much hope for the 5 to be much better.

• Rob Bos@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I use an RP4 and it’s fine with streaming 1080p h.265 stuff off my NAS drive, though it did struggle a bit with serving up the Planet Earth videos. It claims to be able to decode 4k, but probably not very well.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yea, the 3b was struggling hard for larger mkv videos in even 1080p. The 4s while much better seem to not be able to handle 265 at all in 4k.

• Rob Bos@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Good to know, I’ll probably hold off upgrading my projector to 4k until the next-gen raspi then, or some other platform.