• root_beer@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Alls I can say is that when the “smart” tv has “run out of memory” so it intermittently cuts out when I’m trying to beat Ridley in Super Metroid, it’s time for a lobotomy.

• Hobo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You have an LG TV? Cause I have one and want to go Office Space on it because of that shit. Not only will I never buy another LG TV, I’ll never buy another LG product because of it.

• scottywh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My LG TV is great … But I’ve never connected it to the internet and I never will.

• Hobo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah mine was vlaned off from everything else and ethernet connected. I factory reset it and took it off the internet completely, but the problem still pops up every couple of months. Unplugging it and letting the capacitors discharge (like 15-20 minutes) seems resolve it for a few weeks but it just happens again.

Glad you got a good one, but the issue is something that apparently plagues their TVs. Just looking around on forums for “LG out of memory” and you’ll find people with a ton of different models and firmware versions complaining about the same issue. LGs fix for it also hilarious cause they’re like, “Have you tried deleting all your apps?” Which really is just admitting they have no clue why it keeps happpening.

• root_beer@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yep, it is an LG. However, after doing a factory reset and plugging a roku soundbar into it, I’ve had no problems with it since. I did the same with our other tv, a Samsung—sans the reset because I never bothered setting it up with Wi-Fi access in the first place.

I too saw all the complaints from others, which led me to the soundbar because I figured that if they’re going to suggest deleting all the apps as a solution, I may as well make sure and make it permanent.

• Hello Hotel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Sounds like a memory leak. Because your not diging thru menus, your using HDMI, either its doing some background task or its the hardware excelerated video decoding. either way, the company using their own product would find bugs like that as fast as you did.

• Hello Hotel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

What do you mean the robots are turning on people?! Mine has always been a good boy. He always lets me get easy access to his off switch. You must be dumb! Its almost like you need to spend 100 hours with one to fix the “killing people” thing.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Not every model has such generous user respectful features. Just because your TV doesn’t have issues, doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue that plagues smart TVs. There are blogs dedicated to document which models allow telemetry disabling, user update control, performance, etc. There are numerous consumer reports, data privacy analysis from different firms, and they all point that there are issues with smart TVs. Some even point that even those with options to disable tracking, ads, and privacy options, still collect quite a lot of data they sent back to their corporate home. So it’s not that users are lazy, dumb or any other negative thing you want to imply about others, you’re not a special boy, this are legitimate issues.

• nonailsleft@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

But it is important that the problem does not lie in the fact you have ‘a smart tv’, it lies in the fact people buy ‘shitty smart tv’s’. Those of use with good working smart tv’s (mine’s 5yo LGC8) read these posts of people saying “never buy a smart tv, always buy another device for it” and roll our eyes.

You have internet. Just so some research and include in your criteria that the new tv mustn’t be shitty. Don’t reward the marketbros by buying shitty tv’s.

• Hobo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

You have the same TV I do. That thing has been nothing but shit for me. I currently have it internet disconnected after doing a factory reset and it still goes out of memory and starts chain resetting after it’s been plugged in for a couple of months.

Before the factory reset I had it vlanned off and opted out of telemetry tracking, uninstalled all the bloatware apps, and spent a good while waching idle traffic to make sure nothing was sending data… None of that mattered for me. You’re attributing something to skill that is 100% luck.

• nonailsleft@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Maybe it’s a different market with less consumer protection?

Regarding memory I’m using 2 out of 4 gigs with about 10 apps installed so I don’t know how you’d run out of it after factory reset and no internet. I’m reading there are 2gb LG’s as well but I’d think C8 all have 4?