• pirrrrrrrr@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Why the hell would I connect my TV to the internet? It’s a display device.

You will take my Display Port/HDMI/RCA input and like it.

• wavebeam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

RCA? They still make TV’s with RCA inputs on them? It’s been a while since I bought one. Thought my 10yo Sony was one of the last ones.

• Jabbawacky@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yes, RCA is common, even on high end models. Coax aerial connections are also common here in the UK as we have Freeview TV (majority of the UK TV channels are free to receive with any digital aerial and “Freeview” decoder box/TV).

I think RGB SCART is still around here too in a larger way than many realise. my parents got a new TV I set up for them which had an RGB SCART socket. Used it to quickly test out a SNES the other day when visiting and it fucking worked fine lol, looked remarkably good but no match for a proper upscaler obviously

• XTornado@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Idk… to display stream video? I know I know it sounds crazy… Who would want to see tv through internet. Watch shows from providers or even their own video field from their own hosted server, that would be crazy.

• MashedTech@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Dumb tv + streaming box. When the streaming box gets ads and gets shitty you replace that instead of the WHOLE ASS TV.

• PhiAU@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Even watching via Xbox connected to the TV is a better option than that.

I have an Xbox, a fetch tv box and a Chromecast.
        Combined with a PLEX server it’s all I could need.

Disconnecting my great Samsung display from the network and using it as a display/audio output device only and never seeing another ad was a really good decision.

• XTornado@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah good point… if only there were better support for the alternatives to Plex, like Emby/Jellyfin. Well I think there is an Emby app on the Xbox case…but is bad I think.

• HipHoboHarold@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, I don’t get how people don’t get this. Like I agree that the ads are annoying and the slowing down is fucked. But the concept behind it is fairly simply. I no longer need to turn on my Playstation to watch Netflix. Other people don’t have to buy a device for that specifically. Just buy the TV and you’re done. It’s pretty fucking great.

But of course capitalism has to ruin that as well.