• Raz@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My solution: Buy a very large monitor.

Then connect some streaming box to it you can easily replace if/when it gets shitty, instead of having to replace the whole TV.

• Raz@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

This one for example.

I own an older model version of it from a few years back, combined with a Google TV Chromecast.

Yes, it’s more expensive than a midrange TV, but it also lasts me a lot longer and isn’t stuffed with ads. If I’m ever sick of Google TV I can try to jailbreak/root it, without the risk of bricking the entire TV, or just replace it.

• the_lone_wolf@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Great idea! I know exactly what to buy next + better color accuracy than TV which mostly comes with over saturated color labeled as cinematic mode!

• yata@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You can also just buy a big tv and use it as a monitor streaming from a box or pc. It is considerably cheaper.

• XTornado@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

That’s the idea but being honest there aren’t many nice streaming box. Like there is Roku and the Xiaomi one? What else? Fire TV? Chromecast I do not count because you need to cast to it.

I mean I guess you can setup a PC somehow but…

• Raz@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s true, but I considered it an investment for longer term instead of buying a cheaper midrange TV. With the exception of lacking HDMI 2.1, my 55" monitor has all the modern features, with the bonus of having dual input modes and a displayport.

It’s basically what “dumb” TV’s used to be, minus the antenna, but that’s fine as a cord cutter.