Hello Hivemind 🙃

i need some advice here as i am losing my mind.

I have a Fritz!Box6591 and 1Gbit/s internet. Now since yesterday my complete network is extremely unstable. IF i can get any connection, it’s as fast as it should be. But connections break down within minutes.

If i let the network “rest” for a couple minutes with barely no activity, i can then access everything perfectly fine for a few minutes until everything breaks down again.

What i did:

-Deactivated my local DNS (AdGuard) on my router -Restarted (even with 15 min. of no power) EVERYTHING. Literally everything in my homenetwork.

Since it’s not only the internet connection and not one specific device and not even one specific type of connection (two WiFi Devices can’t properly connect between each other just as two different LAN Devices on either different Ports on the router or same router port on a switch) i don’t really know what to do anymore.

Obviously my router is the only common denominator but i can’t see any issues with it. It’s not overheating, it’s RAM & CPU usage is perfectly fine, it’s not gone it powersaving mode, it doesn’t throw me any errors.

I already did tracepath’s to every device and there is no unexpected hop on some theoretical phantom device (if my DNS became buggy or something).

If i ping one of my servers from my PC. It says i have a latency of 1~3ms but it is obviously hanging really hard. It could have a delay of 15 seconds before the next line in ping appears but that will still claim it had a 2ms latency.

I don’t know what to do anymore and where to begin. Any ideas?

EDIT: Here is quick sketch of my network

EDIT2: Found the culprit - https://lemmy.dbzer0.com/comment/324192

• RandomLegend@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Alright - i found the culprit.

My Sonos speaker on switch 1 was kinda DDoS’ing me… apparently thats a know issue aswell. It flooded my network with requests and probably looped back on itself.

Well, now they are offline, my network is functional and as soon as i have time i will see what i can do about them. Probably factory reset.

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I would try to do it systematically. At my dad’s we had a similar problem but not the same and there it was that my dad by accident created a loop in one of the switches.

I would start with turning off the wifi and disconnecting everything from the Fritzbox. Then I would connect a laptop with a ethernet cable to the fritzbox and check if this part works or if the Fritzbox is already broken.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was hoping someone would come up with some form of magic and found the one thing i forgot…i tried to not disconnect everything (updated my post so you can see a sketch of my network) it would be a looooot of work…but i guess there is no choice

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The least complex (in terms of secondary switches) first obviously. But I don’t have any specific insights what could be causing it from looking at the diagram.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

no i am not.

And even if, two devices connected via WiFi on the Router (directly, not via mesh or access point) shouldn’t be disturbed by some wonky powerline should they?