• Michal@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The electric infrastructure is the whole grid. I’d argue apartment complex are better prepared for the increased power use than a gas station and is more convenient a location than gas station.

What are you going to do while waiting for your car to charge? At least at home you can go… home. Shopping centres are a close second. You can do your shopping while you’re charging. Parking spaces and grid are already there.

• GreenBottles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

that’s assuming these things actually work I keep picturing the scenario where you pull up to a gas station in the air pump doesn’t work while you’re trying to inflate your tire

• gian @lemmy.grys.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’d argue apartment complex are better prepared for the increased power use than a gas station and is more convenient a location than gas station.

They solve different problems: in the apartment complex you charge during the night for the daily usage while at the gas station is for the longer drives.

And while charging, at least in Europe, you can simply eat your lunch at the station restaurant/fast food/self service/whatever

• ViewSonik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Im guessing but I bet it is mostly due to the local infrastructure. It is easier to run electrical and install new chargers at a place of business versus residential. The infrastructure at a business is built to expand unlike parking spaces at an apartment complex. You cannot easily tear up the concrete and install electrical when hundreds of families are sleeping or getting home from work

• baru@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

You cannot easily tear up the concrete

Concrete near houses is wasteful. In NL stones are used instead. Installing a charger is easy. There are loads and loads of chargers. In my city they are at most 50 meters apart from each other.

I completely disagree with pretty much everything you said based upon how NL does it. It’s easy, it doesn’t take a long time, it doesn’t affect anyone sleeping, etc.