Germany Will Force 80% of Gas Stations to Install EV Charging, Too::The country will need to increase its charging footprint by more than ten-fold if it hopes to reach its end-of-decade target.

• SSUPII@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The project is there. The dismantled wind farm was due for its lifespan and a contract made many years ago with an extraction company, way before the project for lesser coal in Germany, made it clear that after the lifespan of the wind farm they would have full rights to build a mine in its place.

• falkerie71@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Do most gas stations in Germany happen to have huge parking lots to install chargers? EVs don’t complete their charge in 5 mins like gas cars. They need the space for cars to stop for at least 30 mins.

• zerbey@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I was thinking the same too, it’d work in larger gas stations but the Mom and Pop places are going to quickly run out of parking spots. I’m guessing that’s the 20% that are exempt. Here in the US a lot of the larger chains are already putting in EV chargers and they are always filled up.

• SSUPII@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Very modern electric cars can hold very good on 15 minutes charge.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

While pretty much all countries do need to build out a lot more charging infrastructure, gas stations seem like the wrong place to do it. Service areas along highways, yes. Otherwise, do you not need a place with a large parking lot and something to do, like a shopping center or restaurant? I don’t see EVs ever being as fast as gasoline, plus what gas station would be able to put out that much juice? 80% of gas stations need to go out of business

• tankplanker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

As charging at a gas station is always going to be more expensive than charging at home you don’t want to be charging more than you need. It costs me about £6.50 to fully charge my car at home or as much as £54 at instavolt. No way I’m paying that much more unless I really need it.

If I’m charging only what I need at an ultra rapid charger that’ll take between 5 minutes for 20% or 18 minutes for 70%, which is between 60 and 200 miles of additional range. 5 minutes is hardly enough time to nip to the toilet, 18 minutes is enough time to get some snacks and a coffee as well from the gas station.

Plus it’ll only get faster from here.

• fruitleatherpostcard@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Just make sure the electrical juice isn’t coming from the same pump stand the petroleum is.
    I’m led to believe that crossing the streams is a bad thing.

• twoface@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

And now we only need lower energy prices to make it viable.

The cheapest stations I can find in my town charges 0,67€ per kWH.

Recently came by one near the Autobahn that wanted a 0,56€ activation fee, 0,10€ per minute occupation fee and (depending on the charging speed) 0,89€ or 0,93€ per kWH. Those are insane prices.

Also, we need to get away from coal.