Archived page    

The family of a 10-year-old Black boy who was arrested and placed in a cell for relieving himself in a parking lot say they will file a federal civil rights lawsuit against a Mississippi city unless police officers involved in the detention are fired.    
    Quantavious Eason was detained and taken to a police station in Senatobia after an officer spotted him urinating behind a car outside a law office last month while his mother was inside getting advice on a housing issue.    
    LaToya Eason questioned if her son’s race influenced officers’ decision to take him away in a police car and place him in a cell for almost an hour. “Would you have put a white child in a cage? If it had been a white child, he probably wouldn’t have even been stopped,” she told a news conference this week.

• Doug Holland@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Where I live, we have 25,000 homeless people and exactly zero 24/7 public restrooms, so many neighborhoods do reek of urine and there’s poop in every bush.

If you want people not peeing on the sidewalk and not pooping in the bushes, gotta give them someplace else to pee and poop.

• thecrotch@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I agree, I could get behind deploying public restrooms. I cannot get behind legalizing public urination/defecation.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s the same thing. Pretty much nobody poops or pees in public if there’s a restroom available, and if there’s a restroom available, by all means ticket and fine anyone who’s publicly pooping and peeing.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Pretty much nobody poops or pees in public if there’s a restroom available

The kid in this story did. He was in the parking lot of a law office, while his mother was inside talking to her lawyer, so the place was clearly open.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

I agree with the mom, they wouldn’t have arrested a white kid. But unequal application of a law doesn’t mean we should throw out the law it means we should apply it equally.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

Well, I guess we’ll disagree then. “Arrest all children who pee outdoors” is not in my top 100,000,000 bright ideas for a better America.