I recently moved away from MyQ to local control of my garage door and I’ve been loving it. I stumbled across the linked issue where MyQ shit the bed for roughly 3 days and it just confirms to me that the extra effort to move away from a cloud service was worth it. I’m down to just one last cloud service for something inside my house. My mind is pretty much made up that if I can’t accomplish it locally, I won’t do/use it.

• Feliberto@programming.dev
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Anything RTSP will do, but I’d recommend VLAN the shit out of it unless you are confortable having it call home every second.

I use wyze cameras with custom firmware.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Ooo, you can do that with Wyze? That’d be the best of both worlds. I’ll go search on it, but if you have any advice, I’m all ears.

• buedi@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

We use Reolink wired with PoE and recently switched from ZoneMinder + ZMNinja to Frigate + Home assistant and are very happy so far.

• Omacitin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Have you checked out Frigate? It’s a local service that captures RTSP streams from cameras and uses neural net image recognition to trigger events / recordings. It has good integration with Home Assistant.

• jo3shmoo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Personally I’ve been pretty happy with Unifi Protect. Reliably records locally but accessible remotely and notifications are quick within a few seconds. Cameras can connect to HA and support RTSP if you want to link them into Frigate.

• OminousOrange@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I have Blue Iris NVR with Reolink cameras. A bit of tweaking, but it was easy to follow tutorials online and they integrate into HA nicely. Blue Iris isn’t free, but I couldn’t get Frigate to work and don’t have the background to troubleshoot it very well. I’d say it’s worth the cost, though.