• BetaDoggo_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’d bet that 80% of people on the street wouldn’t know either. Most will use whatever comes on their device.

• Jabbawacky@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yep, people here seem to be totally misunderstanding and overestimating how much the average person knows about tech.

I work in a role where I have to help clients sometimes access their reports via a portal. The clients ages range from 20s to their 80s, some very successful, some less, all intelligent at least. The amount of times I have had to explain what a browser is…or how to type in a URL ("but I just type the address in the Google thing!', searching for a fucking URL), and the absolute fucking basics. It is infuriating, and it is not restricted to one type of person or age group. Most people simply do not give a fuck about tech.

My daughter is 12 and has just moved into secondary school. She’s commented that a lot of her class in IT cannot use a computer. They do not know how to use a filesystem, how to use a mouse or even a keyboard as they’ve grown up with iPads/phones and being able to bash in what they want into the first screen they see.

I have no issues with the judge. He asked for clarification, got it, and moved on. That’s not being inept, that’s being a normal person. Now if he keeps doing it past this point, and it starts affecting the case because he’s incapable of understanding, then yeah that might be different.

• macji@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I work in a law firm and I would second this assertion. Lawyers are some of the smartest people I know, but many of the lawyers I know also have very little clue of what the difference here would be, and I don’t think any of them could describe what a browser cookie is. 80% of the general public not knowing either would not be surprising to me.