• I’m sure there are plenty of people in the government who don’t particularly care, but the average Russian almost certainly does, especially when the fascists are killing Russian-speaking civilians; the KPRF was a very prominent voice for intervening to protect the DPR and LPR

• SomeGuy@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Since when do the opinions of regular people decide government policy under capitalism? Maybe I’m just used to the US where the average citizen has zero voice but is that not the same across all capitalist countries?

• When you said “Russia does not care about fascism in Ukraine”, I didn’t interpret that as “Russian capitalists and the people in the Russian leadership do not care about fascism in Ukraine”; if that’s what you meant, yeah, I’d assume most of them don’t, or they would have intervened earlier (unless there was some really good reason to keep waiting while Ukraine broke all agreements). This war isn’t about the fact that Ukraine is fascist, it’s about the threat it poses to Russia as a NATO proxy.

That being said, public opinion does matter to some extent – particularly if it manifests in some organized action (or even if the ruling party believes that it may happen) – and the Russian communist party (the second largest party after United Russia) reflects that view. Most importantly, regardless of the personal intentions of Russian capitalists and their representatives in the government, Russia is acting as a force against imperialism by fighting NATO, which is why many anti-imperialist countries are on Russia’s side