I ran into this while taking geology courses at university, and the lack of attention to detail by the developers is frankly insulting.

EDIT: The red line is what the developers did. The green line is what they should have done for realism. Explanation in the comments.

• fossilesque@mander.xyzM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My partner is a game designer and it’s something I laugh at all the time in games I see. I am like none of this geomorphology makes sense.

• fossilesque@mander.xyzM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Bro, don’t even look at procedurally generated planets like Star Citizen omg. I cannot. The game is pretty but the planets make me want to throw a chair.

• ilovededyoupiggy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can you eli5 for a non-geology person what the game did wrong? And maybe what the hell a thalweg is?

Asking for a friend. I definitely already know what a thalweg is, I just want to make sure you know!

• JessicaOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Sure! I tried to indicate with the red and green lines hastily added in MS Paint, but the gist of it is when water goes around a curve, it doesn’t flow perfectly in the middle. The majority of the water hugs the outer wall (the cutbank) and is traveling faster. As it’s faster, it takes more sediment with it, thus deepening that part of the river. The deepest point in a river is part of a line called a thalweg. You can see it all summarized in the image below.

tl;dr: Water moves through a river kind of like a race car goes around a race track

• Acer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it! Thanks for explaining so thoroughly.

• n3er0o@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Thank you for the explanation! I would however say it’s the exact opposite of how a racecar goes around a track, because they try to take the inside of corners rather than the outside.