Lets say I have an account on lemmy server A, and with my account I make a lemmy community. Some people post in it. Everything is cool. But for whatever reason the admin/owner of the lemmy server your lemmy community is on decides to ban you. What happens to the community you made? How does the lemmy software respond to it? Does your community get banned with you? Or does the community just get stuck without any admin and people can still post in it?

• thayer@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As I understand it, the community would simply carry on without a mod, until such a time that the site admin appointed a new mod. The content would remain, and other users would still be able to post to it etc.

• greyOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Hunh. So they could just boot you out and take your sublemmy, lol.

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

You are setting up a booth in someone else’s house and then complain that they have the right to kick you out?

There is always the option to do it in your own house via self-hosting your own Lemmy instance.

• sorrybookbroke@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

The same could be said about reddit. It is their house, do we not have any right to critisize they’re actions here?

I disagree. An instance can have it’s rules, regulations, etc. but if they step outside of that to ban someone and take over their community, this is a scummy thing to do.

Reddit should not have removed mods, nor should a lemmy instance admin, unless they’ve violated a reasonable rule-set

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It was always a mistake to abandon self-hosted forums for the convenience of centralized Reddit.

• enkers@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

There are plenty of those same forums still in active use today which you could go back to. The problem they have which reddit solved is fragmentation. Of course, they solved it through centralization, which brought it’s own set of problems that Lemmy now aims to solve. It seems like an elegant solution to me which gives the best of both worlds, but I guess we’ll all get to see together how well it truly works.

• greyOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

No I’m asking questions so I learn how it works.

• @lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They could, but they will develop a very poor reputation if they do this for frivolous reasons.

• Limeey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

If this concerns you, make your own instance and disable creating new communities. Plenty of instances are doing that to house the content they want and nothing more. Through federation you’d be able to be found and accessed by other instances so users can post and engage, and if you prevent user logins and interact only with your community through that instance user, you’ll never have to worry about pulling other federated instance content either.

• terribleplan@lemmy.nrd.li
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think admins can take mod actions on communities on their instance, so they would be able to appoint new mods and do moderation actions in the interim.

• Tiff@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What happens to the community you made?

Nothing. The community is independent of the users

Or does the community just get stuck without any admin and people can still post in it?

Pretty much. As an admin you can Add/Remove moderators
    See this pretty picture of our dropdown menu:

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It completely removes them from the database instead of leaving a tombstone in place which is usually preferable in a federated network. The purge option was mostly added for legal compliance reasons.

• thayer@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The instance admin has ultimate domain over all communities on their instance, regardless of where the mods hail from.