When your post about a hard R gamer heated-gamer-moment spawns a struggle session ohnoes

• edge [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I never said his entire personality is attributed to autism. I’m talking about the specific behavior mentioned in this post. He didn’t do anything manipulative or abusive here, he got mad then didn’t talk to her for the rest of the day while he was still feeling that emotion.

trying to come to an understanding of your viewpoint.

Sorry. I just fixed my comment before seeing your reply.

• Smeagolicious [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

My point though is that he has demonstrated publicly a history of emotional manipulation and abuse and while it could be a reaction based on a sense of betrayal triggering a response as you posit, it could also be more manipulation and a way to excuse it by using the game

Maybe I’m completely off base here but I feel like he doesn’t warrant the full interrogation and depth of understanding we’re granting him here. I personally have experienced the sense of betrayal and emotional upheaval at the tiniest things before, and I have been with (actual) good friends who have done so as well. I am willing to come to an understanding with them so we can treat each other with respect and good will. I have no compulsion to do so for Musk 🤷

Also aside, I variety of responses you’ve gotten here doesn’t mean it’s only NT folks who disagree, and I don’t think we need to approach a disagreement with comrades in a space with a not insignificant proportion of ND people with hostility. Though I fuckin know how tiring it can be having to re-explain your thoughts multiple times, I don’t think the reaction is the best for fostering that understanding

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

it could also be more manipulation and a way to excuse it by using the game

Or it could be that the fact that it’s coming from him is being used to excuse ableist behavior. You could swap in literally any other autistic person who would have reacted that way, and the ableism in this thread would still apply.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

That’s literally why I’m talking about context though. We could substitute him for another neurodivergent person and there would be a different response because they’re most likely not a multibillionaire apartheid profiteering emotionally manipulative abusive scumbag. I’d be more likely to label these responses as ableist behavior if there weren’t also a history of other reasons why the incident might be Musk being shitty to his partner rather than him having an emotional reaction caused by his neurodivergence. He’s had multiple divorces & breakups for the exact reason of him being enormously shit to his partners.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Having context doesn’t mean all of his behavior is because he’s an asshole billionaire. Most of it is sure, but this isn’t.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I don’t see how you can claim that with authority when there is not insignificant behavioral overlap, especially when (presumably) you do not know the man.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

If someone says your (general “you”, not you “you”) words make them uncomfortable, you should be understanding regardless. Like I said in the first comment, Elon Musk won’t see any of these comments, but comrades who have had similar experiences will. Clearly it struck a nerve with me and some of the responses to me made it even worse. Stuff like this (and this has happened before) makes this site not feel like a safe space for me as an autistic person.