I am trying to sync my calendar between a hackintosh and an android phone without google, icloud and the likes.

So far I´ve got syncthing to sync a folder called DecSync. I run a local Radicale server from that folder. Thunderbird on macOS can write to the calendar on that server.

Now I´m looking for a solution like Radicale on the Android side. I have DAVx5 running but I can´t just point it to the synced folder there. It needs an accout.

Is there such a solution? Or is there an easier way to sync calendars? Any help is highly welcomed.

If I am wrong in here, as I am not really hosting anything, please say so, if possible with a different place to ask for help.

• Yote.zip@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I assume you already know about DecSync CC? You can point it at a DecSync folder and integrate the calendars from it into your system. DAVx5 shouldn’t be needed in this setup.

For what it’s worth, I used to run this Radicale+DecSync setup and switched away from DecSync to DAVx5 because it was easier to manage - DecSync is not native to Radicale. You need to have your Android hit your Radicale server with DAVx5 directly, and DAVx5 will cache the data if you move away from your network.

• BraveSentry@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thank you! I got it working now with the macOS using Thunderbird, Radicale and DecSync and the Android side using DecSync CC and Simple Calendar.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ve recently looked into this too. I’ve settled on Calengoo as Android calendar app because it has a ton of customization options and can do both events and tasks in the same app. But it depends on GSF (Google Services Framework); if you intend to keep your Android phone completely Google-free it may not work (no idea if it works with MicroG as a GSF substitute). Calengoo can use Android calendar to sync (via DAVx5 or CalDAV-Sync), but can also connect directly to a CalDAV server.

Simple Calendar does not rely on GSF so it doesn’t have this problem.

Another app I found that works without GSF is Business Calendar from Appgenix (the old version 1). The free one works fine, they also have a Pro version if you’d like to contribute. Version 2 requires GSF unfortunately. Neither of them support CalDAV tasks, only events.

• Chobbes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

You mentioned you’re not really hosting things, but… wouldn’t the easiest solution be to host radicale somewhere so you can just sync your calendars with all of your devices using CalDAV? That seems far cleaner than using syncthing and other services + radicale to sync the calendars.

• BraveSentry@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

In that case I´d need webspace or a home server, right? Up unto now I never had a real need for any of those things, so working my way into that matter would be more work. For anyone else in this community you may be right though.

• Chobbes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yes, that’s very fair :). You could do this very easily on a cheap VPS or a raspberry pi or similar, but if you haven’t done any self hosting before there would be a bit of a learning curve / investment. Might not be worth it for you, but it seems like you’d get a much cleaner and more elegant solution out of it.