My background is in telecommunications (the technical side of video production), so I know that 30fps is (or was?) considered the standard for a lot of video. TV and movies don’t seem choppy when I watch them, so why does doubling the frame rate seem to matter so much when it comes to games? Reviewers mention it constantly, and I don’t understand why.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

People look at games more intently because they are actively engaged in a world through the screen with a game. A movie is just being watched, not interacted with, so the brain naturally doesn’t need or look for as much fine detail.

Like consider how closely you would look at a flower if you’re just looking at it, versus how closely you would look at it if you were trying to trim one of its petals into a little smiley face with tiny scissors. You’re going to notice more of the flower when you’re trying to engage with it. Same thing for video games.

• nevernevermore@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

how closely you would look at it if you were trying to trim one of its petals into a little smiley face with tiny scissors

I love this example because it sounds very specific, so I’m imagining you regularly making little smiley faces on flowers.