A bit of background; Someone I know told me, sometimes they feel crazy 'cause there are just so incredibly many different narratives and stories in their mind, about all the relationships they’re in… they forget who they are themselves sometimes, don’t know what to trust and believe so they feel very overwhelmed. Like, they want to trust, but who/what to trust in?

Which storyline should they align themself with, again?

Or, how can I help them? Maybe not engage in their irrational overthinking, but rather lead them help ground themself by taking care of their physical needs first? Sleep, water, food, exercise, etc

Serious answers please. Thankyou!

Edit: also, when those needs are met, what topics should they nurture their mind with to grow their mental health?

• Wolf_359@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but I was so fortunate to find an amazing job where my coworkers treat me like a good person who has value.

I teach middle school, and I am just surrounded by hardworking teachers who treat each other well. We all compliment everyone behind their backs and to their faces. They tell me I’m good at my job and that I’m a nice person. I used to reply jokingly, “sometimes!” because I honestly could not accept that compliment.

This was incredibly hard for me to handle when I started teaching here. Never felt super loved at home as a kid, only person who told me I was unequivocally “good” was my grandmother, so deep down I always doubted it. I had serious imposter syndrome when people would say nice things to and about me. Still do from time to time, but overall I feel so much happier and more confident than ever before. This job is the best thing to ever happen to me. I’ll work there until I retire - found my forever job. But you could do this without the job.

Surround yourself with people who know you’re good. Be as good as you can be. And know that multiple narratives can be true - I know I have stepped on toes and put my foot in my mouth with coworkers who love me. I have kicked myself for it. But I truly believe that it’s only a very small, very human part of the positive narrative we have all decided to focus on at my job. The positivity has bled into my home life too. I catch myself being better.

I guess what I’m saying is that some of this is “fake it til you make it, then realize you weren’t faking it at all.”