• OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

It seems like the world has turned away from the briefcase, and some Honda exec, still stuck in '85, said offhand, “ya know what would be really cool…” and now he gets to carry two briefcases.

I’d be more interested in something that converted into a functional rolling hard case (with storage) than this thing. This is just another thing to carry.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Japanese business execs very much are all still living in 1985. Japan, especially its corporate culture, is infamous for being stuck in the past. This is bafflingly at odds with its outside perception of being a nation full of bleeding edge innovation. And it is… but only in some aspects.

Japan is almost exclusively run by old men. Traditionalism is tough to budge there. A ridiculous amount of mission critical business communication in Japan still relies on fax machines. Not email. Not messenger apps. Fax machines. In 2023.

Anyhow, even if the rest of the world has turned away from the briefcase we’ve just replaced it with the laptop bag anyway.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I live in the US and a business asked me if I could fax them something just a couple of weeks ago. I replied “From where? 1985?”

• chatokun@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I jokingly call myself a weeb because I like some Anime/manga/LN/WN and had/have an interest in their history and culture… but because of such interest in history I also know of a lot of terrible things they’ve done, plus how conservative and bigoted the country is. They’ve always been resistant ro change, and proud of it. I haven’t fully kept up, but like America, they also love to hide their atrocities.

• scala@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

$1000 for 15mph / 12mi range. Full charge in 3.5 hours

Real low to competitors that can offer those specs on a scooter for $350.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Ain’t nothing wrong with that.

For historical precedent, Honda originally devised the Super Cub – literally the most sold vehicle in history, bar none – with design elements in mind specifically to make it useful for Japanese noodle shops to use as a delivery vehicle. If they think hipster startups will buy this and slap their logo on the side and tootle around downtown, well, so what?