• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Nope, I ain’t gonna read anything medical from this sub. Nope, nope, nope…

I vaguely understand the title as brain lethargy and that’s enough.

• lars@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Even worse, it used to be more common, but they still aren’t sure what causes it.

• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

they still aren’t sure what causes it.

One more reason to not read it. knowing the symptoms would make me paranoid.

Since i knew that you can literally get the botox producing botulinum from badly preserved food I am always scared to eat jam or anything pickled.

• decadentrebel@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I feel like 100 years from now, people are going to laugh at us for COVID and (hopefully which implies a cure was discovered) cancer.

• Xhieron@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Awakenings, by Oliver Sacks, is a book of case studies concerning the L-Dopa treatments of patients of the epidemic; it is a profoundly moving book. Dramatized into a film starring Robin Williams and Robert De Niro (and, incidentally, the single most emotionally manipulative, heart-wrenching film I’ve ever seen, by a fair margin–medical horror is hard to beat). Up there with brain-eating amoebas and rabies for me when it comes to terrifying afflictions.

• Willard Herman@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I once, years ago, began reading his “The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat” and didn’t make it far!

Very often, the reality of our own fragility and fragmentation is more dreadful and creepy than most horror.

Maybe it’s time to pick it up again.