I’m getting a little bit frustrated with my AliExpress 2.54mm dupont ribbon cables. The female housings get loose after just a few cycles, and the connections start falling apart easily.

I’ve gotten some Amphenol Mini-PV 47649-000LF, which are amazing and are close-enough to being compatible with a standard dupont housing. But it’s a hassle to crimp the wires myself, especially when I just need another female-female 6in wire.

Lots of stuff on the internet, but it’s impossible to tell when it’s actually good and when they just repackaged AliExpress. Anyone have a vendor they’ve had good experiences with? Ideally multi-color, but I’m flexible on that.

• Eufalconimorph
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Mini-PV is the standard (in that DuPont used to make them), but the M20 clones are more common. It was created by Berg, who got bought out by DuPont, who spun those off to FCI and then that went to Amphenol decades ago. Then Harwin made their M20 connectors as a near clone of Mini-PV, but they aren’t a perfect fit with Mini-PV housings (and vice versa). M20 won’t fit in a Mini-PV housing, and Mini-PV will be loose in an M20 housing. Then tons of other manufacturers started cloning M20. Most cheap leads you get will be M20.

I tend to just make my own M20 jumpers since that lets me set the length. Mini-PV is necessary if you want more options for wire gauge or spring tension though.