Such a phone would be an instant buy for me, but nobody wants to make them

• limerod@reddthat.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

If you call snapdragon 778 a shit cpu and want all those features, you will not be getting a smartphone for a long time. I have used smartphones with half the processing power of 778, and they all work fine. My point being, fairphone 5 is the closest to that ideal smartphone, yet you dismiss it based on SoC alone. Snapdragon 778 is anything but shit.

• bioemerl@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I have used smartphones with half the processing power of 778, and they all work fine.

And that’s fine, but I don’t want the chip from 5 years ago, I want to chip with modern performance that can do any modern task you can throw at it like driving a high refreshed screen when playing random video games.

• bulwark@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I have pixel 5 and 6. I got tired of my six only lasting half a day without needing a charge so I switched back to the pixel 5 with lineage os. I can routinely get 2 days worth of normal use on a single charge plus I prefer the smaller form factor. An SD slot would be nice, I’ve got 100+gb of FLAC music on my phone.

• bigschnitz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I’d trade my pixel 7 pro back for my old 5 in a heartbeat (were it not destroyed). Besides the better form factor and better android 11 UI on the pixel 5, which are admittedly subjective, the pixel 5 can do several things the pixel 7 pro cannot:

• be used outdoors in summer (or in direct sunlight anytime),

• get a through a full day without having to charge,

• includes a better fingerprint sensor (more reliable, has capacitive gesture, doesn’t spit out blinding light, more ergonomic position),

• includes a far better screen (curved edges with persistent glare are the literal worst - not to mention how breakable they are).

• be placed on a surface without a case and without sliding around on some stupid frictionless and delicate glass back panel.

• UsernameIsTooLon@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The Galaxy S5 is still ahead of its time today. Minus high refresh rate because 60hz was the standard in 2014, but it also had a headphone jack and heart rate sensor built in as well.

• jetsetdorito@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I used to buy it and root right away, but always having to dance around safetynet was a pain. havent been rooted in a while :l

• Granixo@feddit.cl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Such a phone would be everyone’s dream to be honest. 🌠📱

My phone (Moto G8 Play) does have a microSD slot and a headphone jack, while in terms of hardware is the bare minimum nowadays (only having 2GB of RAM).

But at the very least having a Motorola is probably the 2nd best thing when it comes to minimal bloatware.