• xkforce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yeah… its kind of hard to spin “they were not articulate enough” in a way that isnt sexist or racist when asked why he didnt interview black and female musicians.

• maniacal_gaff@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah make way for the younger generation like Matt gaetz, Lauren boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Ben Shapiro please. Surely once the boomers are gone, our problems are over

/s

• anon@artemis.camp
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I really want to believe this is all caused by lead poisoning affecting the Boomers’ executive judgment function.

It beats the alternative of accepting that we’re surrounded by flaming morons who stayed undetected for their entire lives before coming out as misogynistic and racist assholes just in time to ruin their legacy.

• Andy@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I saw the headline and was like, “so what’d he say? Was it really outrageous, like antisemitic stuff? Or something vague but problematic?”

And he’s just like, “Well, I just want to go on the record as saying that I have a strong unexamined bias against the cultural contributions of people who don’t look like me. And even though I know this is outdated, stupid, sand definitely outside the bounds of what I can say without consequences, I do not respect women or black people. Next question?”

I’m now bewildered but how stupid he is than his poor judgements.

• dingleberry
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Wenner seemed to acknowledge he would face a backlash. “Just for public relations sake, maybe I should have gone and found one Black and one woman artist to include here that didn’t measure up to that same historical standard, just to avert this kind of criticism."

This guy…

• yata@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It is especially bizarre considering Rolling Stone is named after a song written by a black person (and a person who definitely meets the definition of a “master” in his book).

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

If you mean the song Like a Rolling Stone, that was written by Bob Dylan, who is white. Otherwise, I’m not sure what song you’re thinking of, but I am pretty sure that’s the song the magazine was named after.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Ok, fair enough. I didn’t think it would be named after a song that someone who predated rock by decades wrote.

• mriormro@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                9 months ago

Rock has its roots and foundation in Delta Blues. Which would be the environment that helped influence and shape later known Chicago bluesmen such as Muddy Waters. Without the contributions of the black artists from the Mississippi Delta you would not have any of the music we currently enjoy today.