• Cyclohexane@lemmy.mlM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Americans do a lot of stupid things, but they are most likely to be self critical in this space. I think this meme should talk about Western Europe instead, because they have many problems, but they are so often never willing to accept criticism. They’re quick to call the US racist, but in my experience, Europe has so much racism it’s crazy it’s viewed as this anti racist place.

• PP_GIRL_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Ask any “America is so racist” European about their thoughts on the Roma people

• jormaig@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m not sure what are you talking about. I’m Spanish and the first people to criticize Spain is Spanish people. Probably you’ve never even heard of all the problems our country has. Unemployment, corruption, house okupation, lots of small crime, mafia related crime for all the drugs trying to enter Europe, lots of immigration as Spain is one of the doors to Europe… I can go on. For all of these there’s a lot of debate and not much being done so far…

• RawrGuthlaf@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I (a US citizen) literally didn’t get a job in Germany because one member on the team objected because I didn’t speak German yet. The company is “English first” and I worked in the US division previously. So yeah, Europeans are certainly as capable of being racist. And they didn’t even try to hide it!

• RawrGuthlaf@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I see you deal in absolutes. The person wanted a fluent German speaker despite being an English first company. Put it together in your head.

• TheKingBee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, it’s racist to hire another more qualified candidate that can speak multiple languages in a setting that would benefit from that skill…

• Cyclohexane@lemmy.mlM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Idk about OP, but from my experience, you can speak German perfectly correctly, but have an accent, and that will make your job search many times harder, because they know you’re not “German”. I highly doubt this is about skill.