I just found a handful of bots that are spamming lemmy and kbin communities for hours but this place here does not seem to do anything against it.

The only posts in the last 18 hrs seem to be bot posts.

Edit: here are pictures of the posts

• readbeanicecream
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I have not noticed many spammers here on kbin. But, when I do, the way I handle it is:

1. Reduce/Report.
    2. Do I see the same user posting spam, block user.
    3. Does it seem to come from the same domain, block domain.
  • Admiral Patrick
    link
    fedilink
    English
    88 months ago

Even if the mods on kbin take action, those mod actions don’t federate to Lemmy, and the spam just piles up. I know several instance admins, including myself, who are getting fed up with it and discussing defederation.

Which sucks because most kbin users are fine, but the spam cleanup is a lot of work.

• @HauiOP
      link
      38 months ago

Oof. That sucks. Thanks for mentioning it. Maybe I can start helping on the project at some point. I really want to but I‘m a bit busy atm.

• Zima
    link
    fedilink
    78 months ago

I am no longer reporting them and just block them.

• @HauiOP
      link
      28 months ago

That sounds pretty bad. Maybe we need more mods and admins?

• @HauiOP
          link
          18 months ago

I already do moderation. But yes, you are correct. People should take action if they really care in general. This problem seems to be a technical one so I might rather look into a coded solution.

• @Duchess@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    38 months ago

i’d also noticed this but i’m honestly not sure what can be done. i’d just unsubscribed since i figured this place was fully taken over.

• @HauiOP
      link
      18 months ago

Thanks for confirming. I‘m also unsubbing from all kbin communities since this stuff is still going.

• HarkMahlberg
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I think you see something different on tech@kbin.social than what kbin users see on tech@kbin.social.

I go to https://discuss.tchncs.de/c/tech@kbin.social?dataType=Post&page=1&sort=New, sorted by newest, and I see a lot of “ImNotBobDylan” clones spamming garbage links.

I go to https://kbin.social/m/tech/newest and I don’t see any BobDylans.

I go to https://discuss.tchncs.de/u/ImNotBobDylan1@kbin.social and I see 3 spam posts.

I go to https://kbin.social/u/ImNotBobDylan1 and I see a 404 page. That user does not exist at kbin.social.

So, whatever is happening, I’m not sure kbin is the source of the problem. If it was, certainly we would see this user as well, right? I mean, it would at least explain why nobody is acting here… we can’t physically see the problem lol.

• @HauiOP
          link
          28 months ago

Positively baffling. Someone else commented that mods are removing these bot posts but lemmy federation does not get removed due to a bug. Not sure if thats the case but it would fit your explanation.

• zoe
    link
    fedilink
    28 months ago

u mean the posting bots ? some are actually useful. lemm.it bot can be a pain sometimes thou :/

• @HauiOP
      link
      18 months ago

No. I also think the reddit bots are useful. The pictures I sent are bots (or at least Multiple accounts) that posted the same shit directly after being created and nothing else. Not suspicious at all right? :)

• zoe
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

true, suspicious.ping the admins of the instance hosting the communities hosting the posts in question. i witnessed that shit before and admin helped adress that after ping

• @HauiOP
          link
          18 months ago

Thanks for confirming. I‘ll check it out.

• DARbarian
    link
    fedilink
    18 months ago

Yeah I agree the bots are a serious problem. Can’t scroll through Home for long without hitting old stuff, can’t scroll All because it’s nothing but bots putting AI-generated Amazon shopping lists in every remotely relevant sub.

• @HauiOP
      link
      18 months ago

That sound awful! I‘m sorry you‘re having that experience.

• @HauiOP
      link
      18 months ago

I put them in the original post. Thanks for answering.