cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Don’t feel bad, man. I’m one of the 6 folks who enjoyed DA2.

• chuckleslord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Listen, it might’ve looked cheap as fuck, but I found a certain charm in the “every dungeon interior is just one of three dungeons with different parts blocked off”. Plus the combat flowed really well. I played that whole game through like… 5 times. One right after the other.

• kaitco@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If you play it after coming off Mass Effect 1, the “every colony bunker or mine is one of three options” regardless of the planet just becomes part of that Old BioWare’s aesthetic.

• stopthatgirl7@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m also one of that small number. It’s actually my favorite in the series.

Mass Effect 2 is also my least favorite in the series, so I know I’m in the minority for both franchises.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If they hadn’t reused the maps it’d been remembered as one of the greats.

I also thought the balance on Nightmare or whatever was an atrocious mix of ubertank enemies and getting one-shot by rogues but the actual story and companions were fantastic.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I can only imagine how good DA2 would have been if BioWare had been given more than a year and a half to make it.

• Murais@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I guess that makes me number 3?

The ending was a bit silly, but the Qunari storyline was fucking incredible.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

When I found out that fight with Orsino had been mandated by higher ups who demanded another boss fight be added, it explained so much.

• Kahlenar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

What exactly do you mean by that? Like, he could have indeed been a well meaning mage just trying to live under templar thumbs? Instead of also being exactly the smoking gun?

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

The Orsino fight doesn’t make much sense if you side with the mages - there was no reason for him to go Akira monster when he did. Even BioWare acknowledged how little sense it made, in a conversation you can have with Varric in Inquisition.

• Norgur@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Great ideas, cool combat system, great art style and graphics, ruined by writing that was somehow chaotic and utterly predictable at the same time and stupid ass kill ten rats/fetch 10 letters filler quests.

• OscarRobin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The combat got pretty repetitive imo. Though that wasn’t helped by just how many times you had to do the same fights against rifts/tears etc

• Hyggyldy@sffa.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Well I wasn’t planning on hating you but due to my compulsive contrarianism we are now bitter enemies. See you in Hell and have a nice day!

• Custoslibera@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Origins was amazing DAII was serviceable Varric did a lot of heavy lifting. DA:Inquisition I played 10 minutes of and dropped it.

I played all games in succession after buying on steam too.

• TheyKeepOnRising@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Calling DA2 serviceable is probably some of the highest praise it’s received. The game is steaming dookie. It took out every single thing that made Origins a masterpiece and gave us a dialogue wheel and an entire game made of 5 copy+pasted rooms. Also a nonsensical main plot with no real player agency and the most forgettable ending of all.

DAI is mid af but it looks like a God damn masterpiece next to DA2.

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I really really liked ME1 and 2. Sure, there are some nits to pick, especially with the act 2 gameplay (stupid mako, silly scanner), but they are great games.

• LetMeEatCake@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

ME2 is a good game in isolation, but I think it played a big part in getting Bioware where they are now.

ME2 saw them move far, far more into the action-RPG direction that was wildly popular at the time, with a narrative that was in retrospect just running in place (ME2 contributes effectively nothing towards the greater plot and zero major issues are introduced if it is excised from the trilogy). I feel the wild success ME2 saw after going in this direction caused Bioware to (a) double down on trend chasing, and (b) abandon one of their core strengths of strong, cohesive narratives. ME3 chased multiplayer shooter trends, DA:I and ME:A both chased open world RPG trends, Anthem chased the live service trend, and the first try at DA3 chased more live service stuff before Anthem launched to shit and they scrapped the whole thing to start over.

All while, of what I saw first hand (of those I played) or read about secondhand (of those I did not play) none of those games put any serious focus on Bioware’s bread&butter of well written narratives. ME3 in particular is a narrative mess, with two solid payoffs (Krogans + Geth-Quarians) and the rest being some of the worst writing I’ve seen in a major video game.

ME2 was great. ME2 also set Bioware on a doomed path.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

ME2 vastly expanded the universe of mass effect from the very bare bones level of the first game. It makes the reapers into more than vague robot threat that kills the universe every so often. It established other races as more than basic caricatures. You can keep the basic narrative intact without it, but you lose the sense of payoff in 3 without seeing krogan as a dying race, geth as a sentient race that deserves equality, and the truly desperate nature of the nomadic quarians.

3 was pretty good until the final ending that was clearly rushed in establishing the full reasoning behind each choice. Yes it had multi-player tacked on, but it was clearly a rushed effort and cutting it wouldn’t have fixed the story. The multi-player is also the best coop gameplay I’ve ever played and nothing has came close to the feel. You’re problems with 3 and other Bioware releases seem directly related to the broad direction EA was forcing everyone down.

• bouh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

There is a big failing in ME2 that made me sad: the shift to a human centric story and universe.

ME3 I don’t see anything interesting in the scenario right from the start. It’s very similar to DAI btw.

• BrowseMan@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Ah that’s true, I realize it now that you put it your finger in it: ME2 is really a “let’s tour the universe” kind of story fleshing out the background of known races (and adding new ones) and places.

• NotAGuyInAHat@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I think you’re putting an awful lot of blame on ME2. Visceral combat in no way precludes good storytelling.

• bouh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

This is very true. And it’s ironic because when I saw BG3 I thought that bioware paved the way for it. They had everything to make a BG3 since kotor and nwn2, they successfully kick-started their own IP with ME and DAO, but they went on the path of ME3 and DAI instead.

They mistakenly thought the kotor and neverwinter nights ways were different. And then they failed at adapting to the openworld era.

• BadLackey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I would pay good money for a stand-alone ME3 Multiplayer remake with all the bugs fixed, new maps, and less BS grind. I think I put almost 2000 hours into the multiplayer and still don’t have all the guns unlocked/upgraded