Just curious how other folks in the area are planning to vote. I’m voting no. It seems like every other union in the region fully supports him, and the one that doesn’t… they’ve been downright weird about it.

• letsmakeafriendship@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Voting no on this. This is an abuse of the recall process, which should be reserved for cases of serious malfeasance, fraud, etc, not just because a rep didn’t vote your way on a single bill. Every other union supports Holvey, he was justly elected by his constituents. This whole thing seems petty, annoying, and a waste of taxpayer money (and union dues!). If I were in this union I would be furious at them for spending my money this way.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

If he is your representative, you are personally effected by his decisions and his ability to remain a legislator. If you elected him the first time, this recall is essentially an effort by a special interest group to over-ride your vote.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

tldr he killed a bill which included provisions about protecting the right of cannabis workers to organize, he referred the bill to state attorneys who rightly concluded the law wouldn’t stand up in court after very similar laws were struck down elsewhere. Every other union still supports holvey, but one of them pushed for a recall over it. If recalls like this are successful, it encourages other special-interest groups to recall reps over small spats like this in the future.