Is it possible to start out at, let’s say, 20 years and be sharp as a knife. Never forgetting things, never dropping things, always have an answer ready and can do multiple things at once. And then around 30 you suddenly drop stuff you have in your hands, you forget if you locked the door, your contactlenses have gone missing from the storagecontainer, people need to stop talking while you drive?

• canthidium@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oh yes, there’s many things that can cause this as others have said. Stress, sleeplessness, mental problems or illness, and especially physical health and weight. I’m almost 40 and I find I have “degraded” in many ways due mostly to my weight, depression, and diabetes. I lost my balance a lot now, I find I am not as quick witted as I used to be. The main one is my memory. I used to have an encyclopedic memory and do still to some extent, but interactions with people, movie plots, I don’t remember as well anymore. But there’s still so much trivia and knowledge that is just stuck in my brain.

• Erk@cdda.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If it happened suddenly this is not normal and you should see a doctor

If it’s happened gradually it might be the result of more stress, less sleep, etc, but you still might want to consider talknig to someone. Conditions like thyroid issues can cause a global reduction in function like that and it can be insidious.

• Mothra@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Everyone certainly lose their sharpness with age. But at 30, presuming you didn’t experience something that could cause PTSD or that you are severely sleep deprived, dropping things you are holding is a bit too much. The other signs are not looking good either, some people are a bit like that by default but keyword- by default. They were also forgetful and easy to distract in their 20s too.

I would recommend you get this checked by a professional, see a doctor.

Even of you don’t have a neurological condition causing this, the symptoms are yelling there is something else that is really out of whack- even if it is something “stupid” like lack of sleep or a poor diet, whatever the cause is it deserves to be addressed seriously. Good luck OP.

• Devi@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That is called aging. I used to be so smart but with no wisdom, now I have more wisdom, push pull doors, and trip over air.

• rm_dash_r_star@lemmyonline.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

From a sexagenarian with no health issues, I really noticed some degradation in acuity around 40. I have a lot less now. There’s stuff I just can’t do anymore. It’s fun getting old.

• rhacer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Same here. I’ve always been clumsy, but holy smokes now days it can be really bad.

Also, I no longer have the mental accuity I used to have things take longer to learn, and I’m often stuck with the right answer on the tip of my tongue but can’t get it out.

I’ll be sixty in two months.

• fubo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s certainly possible with neurological problems or just stress or sleeplessness.

• RandoMcGuvins@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’m late 30s. I’ve slowed down a lot since my 20s. Reflexes aren’t anywhere near as sharp, I use to have very quick hands and reflexes. As far as memory, I’m still good at remembering things that I care about but it’s far from the steel trap it use to be. For stuff that’s not things that I care about I have to write it down, I’m still pretty good but I forget stuff now.

• neshient@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Are you saying getting clumsier in the absence of illness? I’m definitely clumsier now but due to lack of proper sleep. it’s concerning that I can forget words mid-sentence, bumping into things and generally forgetting tasks. But a day of solid sleep usually reverses these problems.

• Guadin@k.fe.derate.meOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes, without illness. I recognize the ‘no sleeo’ part. When I had little sleep, it’s all much worse.