This is actually a problem with all iPods it seems, but I can’t get any of them to work on Linux Mint, or any distro. There are literally programs on the repos for working with iPods that show up if you search “iPod” and none of them actually with the four iPods I was recently given. The most popular one google results reccomend is GTKpod, and GTKpod has a helpful seems that seems to let you actually pick and choose which one you are connecting, even by color, because I guess that matters. On every iPod I’ve tried on GTKpod on Linux Mint and on Manjaro, none work. All either just silently hang with no error message or spit out a slew of different error messages. The one I’m trying to make it work with the most is the iPod Nano Gen 3 Pink because I want to give it away as a gift to someone with a Linux Mint computer. But nothing seems to work with them. Does anyone know what’s up with that?

• greyOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

And Rhtymbox gives the error “Could not open resource for writing.”

• greyOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That does not work either, GTKpod gives an of “failed to open (path to ipod) for writing(read only filesystem)”

• emergencycall@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

GTKpod hasn’t been updated in quite a while, and though it still works, it takes a bit of manual labor to get running on a modern system. Specifically, the mounting and permissions need to be looked at. Check your syslog, and run GTKpod from the command line so you can see the error log if any

• insomniac@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Did you ever find an answer? Gtkpod should work. I’ve used it with a 3rd gen regular iPod. I wonder if your iPod isn’t getting mounted automatically? Linux can’t mount it (at least it’s more complicated but I don’t know if there’s a solution) if the ipod is macos formatted. If it’s Windows formatted, it should just mount when you plug it in but you can use the mount command if it’s not mounting automagically. If it is mac formatted, you should be able to fix it on a windows computer.

• greyOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

No. Nothing I’ve tried has worked. I thought after all these years there would be something that works.